Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Definition of work done by torque

1. Nov 10, 2018 at 4:10 AM #1
    I' m trying to derive the work done by a torque from W = ∫ F ⋅ ds and I' ve looked up the internet, it said:

W = ∫ F ⋅ ds ( since ds = dθ × r ) ---------------------------------------- ( Line 1 )

it can be written as

W = ∫ F ⋅ dθ x r

this is a vector triple product , thus can also be written as

W = ∫ r × F ⋅ dθ

W = ∫ Torque ⋅ dθ ----------------------------------------------------- ( Line 2 )

My question is :
    In what direction is dθ pointing so that when I cross-product dθ and r ( Line 1 ), it become ds ? And also, when I dot-product Torque and dθ ( Line 2 ) , what is the angle between them ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2018 at 4:18 AM #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A rotation can be represented as a vector along the axis of rotation, so it is normal to the plane of rotation. If the force lies in that plane then it will be parallel to the rotation vector. But in general it need not be. E.g. consider a car skidding at an angle, brakes off. The frictional force wIll be at any angle to the rotation axis.

4. Nov 10, 2018 at 4:35 AM #3
    Thanks for the reply, so the dθ is not in the same direction with the unit vector θ hat ? ( which we introduced in the polar coordinates, θ hat is tangent to the circular motion ) . Instead, dθ is perpendicular to the plane of circular motion ( same direction as angular velocity ) ?

5. Nov 10, 2018 at 4:37 AM #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Yes. In fact, ##d\theta/dt## is the angular velocity.

6. Nov 10, 2018 at 4:40 AM #5
    Thank you

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted