1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deflection and slope of a beam, homework question

1. Jan 5, 2016 #1
    I dont get how to solve this problem in the simplest form...
    I would appreciate your help
    thanks!

I have had some attempts at the question but the question is supposed to be non-calculator-use, so the method should rather be simple, and I couldn't come up with any sort of neat way to solve the problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

the question is to get the deflection and slope at the point 'D', for the EI you can just state them in the calculation as EI

for the reactions R.b=160KN, R.e=20KN upwards were found after the calculation of momentum equilibrium equation.

2. Relevant equations

no specific equation for the deflection, you can use whatever the method you want to use

3. The attempt at a solution

I've had attempt at the question using the singularity method and moment-area method,
    but failed to get the answer.

question.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure about solving this problem without a calculator, but first, you'll need to find the reactions at the supports. Have you done this already?

4. Jan 5, 2016 #3
    ah yes! R.b=160KN, R.e=20KN it is, sorry forgot to include that in the post, i will do so right now

5. Jan 5, 2016 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Once you know the reactions on this beam, you should be able to draw the shear force and bending moment diagrams.

6. Jan 5, 2016 #5
    yes but i found out that the numbers are to complicated using the moment-area method, so i thought it was inappropriate as the question is non-calculator-use

7. Jan 5, 2016 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Still, constructing the shear force and bending moment diagrams are useful. Humor me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted