Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deflection in a Cantilever beam

1. Jun 21, 2015 #1
    Hello,

i was looking for ways i can reduce the deflection in the cantilever beam whose one end is fixed and load is applied at the free end.

Few i thought of was,
    1- Reducing the length of the beam
    2- Increasing the modulus of elasticity of the beam
    3- ??
    4- ??

Appreciate your help

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2015 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One of few formulas you should memorize is the deflection at the free end of a cantilever with a point load applied at the free end. Write it down and see what variables you can change besides length and elasticity yo reduce the deflection.

4. Jun 22, 2015 #3
    Increasing the second moment of area of the beam, providing extra supports etc.

I'm trying to reduce the reflection of a cantilever beam as well, but there isn't much you can do. Best bet is to reduce the length but in most cases it isn't possible.

5. Jun 22, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you use a supporting cable to help?

http://media.cheggcdn.com/media/339/339bef0e-5707-4c7e-b0d1-eb9d4b8afef9/phpB1vxDf.png
    phpB1vxDf.png

6. Dec 28, 2016 #5

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Optimised variable section .
    Rigid stay .
    Haunch .

Cable stay shown is not set at a very effective angle to reduce deflection .
    Cable stays with no provision for setting tension are in any case not a reliable means of reducing cantilever beam deflection .

Edit : Old thread - op has gone .

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  7. Jan 5, 2017 #6
    The deflection can be made approximately zero by creation/modification of the structure in that way.
    Then the arrangement of members will form a structure which deflects the point to some other direction or make it zero approx......

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted