Deflection in a CRT: Problem more than halfway solved, stuck

In summary, the problem involves an electron being projected between deflection plates in a cathode-ray tube. The force, acceleration, and distance traveled are calculated correctly, but there is trouble finding the angle of the velocity vector. The solution is to find the vertical component of the velocity and use tangent to find the angle. Additionally, for part e, the deflection calculated in part c must be added to the calculated distance.
SuperCass
Deflection in a CRT, Potential Problem: Problem more than halfway solved, stuck

Homework Statement

In Fig. 24-32 an electron is projected along the axis midway between the deflection plates of a cathode-ray tube with an initial speed of 6.40 106 m/s. The uniform electric field between the plates has a magnitude of 1.04 103 V/m and is upward.

24_32.gif

(a) What is the force (magnitude and direction) on the electron when it is between the plates?
(b) What is the acceleration of the electron (magnitude and direction) when acted on by the force in part (a)?
(c) How far below the axis has the electron moved when it reaches the end of the plates?
(d) At what angle with the axis is it moving as it leaves the plates?
(e) How far below the axis will it strike the fluorescent screen S?

Homework Equations

F=Eq
F=ma
V=W/q
V=kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I got parts a-c correct, a being 1.666e-16 N downward, b being 1.8473e14 m/s^2 downward, and c being .008118 meters.
Part d is giving me trouble. I've tried doing arctangent of .06/.008118, with .06 being the length of the plates and .008118 being how far down it travelled, but that didn't work. What am I doing wrong?
I'm also stuck on part e, but I think that's because I don't have part d.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In (d) get the angle of the velocity vector. The horizontal component is given and you can find the vertical component from the vertical acceleration (you must have found the travel time when doing part c).

Thanks!

For part e, would I just use tangent of that angle and multiply it by .12 to get the needed value? Because that isn't working for me. What should I do?

Hello SuperCass for part e did you remember to add the deflection you calculated in part c?

*gasp* no! That worked! Thank you so much!

1. What is deflection in a CRT?

Deflection in a CRT (cathode ray tube) refers to the movement of the electron beam within the tube. This movement is controlled by electric and magnetic fields, and is responsible for creating the images on a CRT display.

2. What causes a CRT to become stuck?

There are a few potential causes for a CRT to become stuck, including a malfunction in the electric or magnetic fields that control the electron beam, a physical obstruction in the tube, or a problem with the electron gun itself.

3. How can the problem of deflection in a CRT be solved?

The problem of deflection in a CRT can be solved by troubleshooting and identifying the underlying issue. This may involve repairing or replacing faulty components, realigning the electric and magnetic fields, or removing any obstructions within the tube.

4. Why is deflection in a CRT more than halfway solved?

Deflection in a CRT is considered more than halfway solved because identifying the problem is often the most difficult part of the process. Once the issue has been identified, it can usually be resolved with relatively straightforward repairs or adjustments.

5. Can deflection in a CRT be prevented?

While there is always a possibility for malfunctions to occur, regular maintenance and proper usage can help prevent deflection issues in a CRT. This includes keeping the tube clean and free of obstructions, and avoiding exposure to strong magnetic fields or extreme temperatures.