• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Electron traveling between two plates. Electric Fields?

1. Homework Statement
An electron traveling horizontally east passes between two horizontal, oppositely charged plates and is deflected downward.

Part A: Passing through the same space between the plates, in what direction (if any) a proton traveling horizontally east would be deflected?

Part B: Passing through the same space between the plates, in what direction (if any) an electron traveling horizontally west would be deflected?

Part C: Passing through the same space between the plates, in what direction (if any) a proton traveling horizontally west would be deflected?

Part D: Passing through the same space between the plates, in what direction (if any) a proton traveling horizontally north would be deflected?

Answer choices for all parts :
a) It wouldn't be deflected.
b) It would be deflected vertically downward.
c) It would be deflected vertically upward.

2. Homework Equations
Not sure. This question is labeled under "Electric Fields and Forces."

3. The Attempt at a Solution
My gut tells me that the proton traveling horizontally east would be deflected upward, opposite of the electron. I have no clue how traveling west changes the problem. And as far as part D, what does horizontally north even mean? I'm really lost on this problem. I'm not sure with what concepts to approach it.

If the electron gets deflected downward, what should that tell you about the plate on top of it and the plate below it? After figuring this out, apply it to the other particles.

As for horizontally north ... not sure about the terminology either. Maybe it just means directly north on some horizontal plane. It may just imply the direction is perpendicular to the previously mentioned direction? I'd want to hear what someone else thinks about the term though.

ehild

Homework Helper
You stand on the ground, with a compass in your hand. You find the directions to East, North, South, West. Holding a ball in our hand, you throw it horizontally Eastward. It will fall while moving to East (It deflects downward).
Now throw the ball horizontally toward North. Will it deflect downward again?

You stand on the ground, with a compass in your hand. You find the directions to East, North, South, West. Holding a ball in our hand, you throw it horizontally Eastward. It will fall while moving to East (It deflects downward).
Now throw the ball horizontally toward North. Will it deflect downward again?
Yes?

ehild

Homework Helper
Of course ...Push a ball on a table in either direction, it will fall downward after leaving the table.

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member
I think what ehild is getting at is that horizontal means 0 z component.