Displacement and Momentum, particle in cathode ray tube with variables

In summary, an electron is accelerated between positively and negatively charged metal plates, and experiences a uniform vertical force. However, when the electron is outside the plates, the force is negligible. The electron's gravitational force is also negligible in this situation.
physics1311

Homework Statement

In a cathode ray tube (CRT) used in older television sets and oscilloscopes, a beam of electrons is steered to different placed on a phosphor screen, which glows at locations hit by electrons. The CRT is evacuated, so there are few gas molecules present for the electrons to collide with. Electric forces are used to accelerate electrons of mass m to a speed v0 << c, after which they pass between positively and negatively charged metal plates which deflect the electron in the vertical direction (upward in the diagram, or downward if the sign of the charges on the plates is reversed).
CRT deflection
While an electron is between the plates, it experiences a uniform vertical force F, but when the electron is outside the plates there is negligible force on it. The gravitational force on the electron is also negligibly small in this situation. The length of the metal plates is d, and the phosphor screen is a distance L from the metal plates. Where does the electron hit the screen? (That is, what is yf?)

Homework Equations

displacement=V(avg)Δt
Δp=FnetΔt

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the displacement equation over L
L=(v0+v0)/2*Δt rearanged Δt=L/v0
I substituted this Δt into Yf=(v-final+v-initial)/2*Δt
V(fina)l should be the same as v(initial) over L because there are no other forces as states, right?, so we have Yf=v(final)*L/v0

then to find vf I used the momentum principle assumng v(initial)=0
m*v(final)=FΔt (different Δt here)
and to find this Δt i used the displacement equation for x over d,
d=v0/2*Δt
My final answer, which was wrong, was 2*F*d*L/((v0)^2*m

Physics news on Phys.org
Hope the attached outline helps.

The only difference I can see is that I didn't apply the force over the length from ray gun to screen. The force is only applied while between the plates.

sdpx8k.jpg

Hi Keith G.,

If you're keen to pursue this problem and work out the full solution, here's a diagram you might be able to make use of:
upload_2017-3-22_9-20-25.png
##\Delta y## is what is sought.

1. What is displacement and momentum in relation to a particle in a cathode ray tube?

Displacement refers to the change in position of the particle within the cathode ray tube. Momentum is the product of the particle's mass and velocity, and it describes the quantity of motion it possesses.

2. What variables affect the displacement and momentum of a particle in a cathode ray tube?

The displacement and momentum of a particle in a cathode ray tube can be affected by factors such as the strength of the electric field, the mass and charge of the particle, and the length and shape of the tube.

3. How does the electric field in a cathode ray tube impact the displacement and momentum of a particle?

The electric field in a cathode ray tube is responsible for accelerating the particle and determining its path. A stronger electric field will lead to a greater displacement and momentum for the particle.

4. Can the displacement and momentum of a particle in a cathode ray tube be controlled?

Yes, the displacement and momentum of a particle in a cathode ray tube can be controlled by adjusting the variables mentioned previously, such as the electric field strength and the mass and charge of the particle.

5. What is the significance of studying displacement and momentum in a cathode ray tube?

Studying displacement and momentum in a cathode ray tube allows scientists to better understand the behavior of particles in electric fields and can also lead to advancements in technologies such as televisions and particle accelerators.