Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deflection of cantilever beam having two Young's modulas

1. Jul 14, 2015 #1
    what is the formula for the cantilever beam having two different young's modulas and moment of inertia, when a point load is acting on the free end.

i have been trying but unable to get the formula. if the formula i can validate my project work and complete it

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm afraid this description of the beam and the materials composing it is a little vague.

Are we talking something like a leaf spring, with two different materials lapped together? Is one portion of the length of the beam one material, and the rest of the beam composed of another material?

You should try to be as specific as possible about the construction of your beam. Pictures always help.

4. Jul 14, 2015 #3

OldEngr63

Gold Member

Each material has only one Young's Modulus value. If there are two involved, then there must be two materials and the geometry of the two becomes significant.

5. Jul 17, 2015 #4

Yes, your right one length one material and rest of the length will be another material...

I derived the formula using basic govering equation yesterday and verified it with MATLAB program for cantilever beam. Both the results are correct, it is used for having two different materials and moment of inertia for a cantilever beam.
    Capture.PNG

6. Jul 17, 2015 #5

yes sir, i have posted formula. i hope it is correct and useful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook