Deflection of wave in dissipative media with a complex refractive index

In summary, the conversation discusses a monochromatic plane wave with a wavelength of 500µm propagating through a dissipative medium with a refractive index of 1-0.0002i. The question at hand is how much the wave will deflect as it passes out into free space at an angle of incidence that is not 90°. The participants in the conversation provide various inputs and theories, with one suggesting that the answer should be obvious given a refractive index of 1 and another raising the possibility of conflicting interpretations.
Tinaaaaaa

Homework Statement

A monochromatic plane wave with wavelength 500µm is propagating through a dissipative medium with refractive index 1-0.0002i. It approaching the edge of the medium, and will pass out into free space. If the angle of incidence is not 90°, how much will the wave deflect as it passes out into free space?

Homework Equations

Snell's Law:
b5a73124df21668801a4d20054bb1b13f6709752

The Attempt at a Solution

The refractive index of free space would be 1-0*i so so far I have 1-0.0002i/1. But I don't know how to find the angles.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't previously worked this type of problem, even though I have an Optics background, but I can give you a couple of inputs to it. In a medium with complex ## n ##, the wave will propagate as ## E=E_o e^{i( n_r k_o x-\omega t)} e^{-n_i k_o x} ##. I don't think the ## e^{-n_i k_o x } ## factor will affect the boundary value conditions that determine which direction the wavefront emerges when it encounters a boundary. I think that is simply determined by ## n_r ##. If my inputs are indeed correct, the answer to this problem, for which ## n_r=1 ##, should be obvious.

Likes Tinaaaaaa
Charles Link said:
I haven't previously worked this type of problem, even though I have an Optics background, but I can give you a couple of inputs to it. In a medium with complex ## n ##, the wave will propagate as ## E=E_o e^{i( n_r k_o x-\omega t)} e^{-n_i k_o x} ##. I don't think the ## e^{-n_i k_o x } ## factor will affect the boundary value conditions that determine which direction the wavefront emerges when it encounters a boundary. I think that is simply determined by ## n_r ##. If my inputs are indeed correct, the answer to this problem, for which ## n_r=1 ##, should be obvious.
Thank you this makes a lot of sense

Likes Charles Link
Tinaaaaaa said:
Thank you this makes a lot of sense
A google of this question shows there seems to be a couple of different schools of thought on the subject. There are a couple of postings that talk about the Descartes-Snell law of refraction, but there are other postings that interpret it exactly like I did. I leave the question open to further discussion, but I don't know that there is a definitive answer to this one that everyone will agree upon. ## \\ ## Unless ## n_i ## is considerably greater than ## 0 ##, it may be difficult to experimentally verify any result that would show ## n_i ## could cause some effect, but if ## n_i ## gets to be significant, the wave doesn't propagate very far through the material.

1. What is the concept of deflection of waves in dissipative media?

The deflection of waves in dissipative media refers to the phenomenon of waves changing direction or bending as they pass through a medium with a complex refractive index. This can be caused by various factors such as absorption, scattering, and refraction of the waves within the medium.

2. What is a complex refractive index?

A complex refractive index is a measure of how much a material can bend or refract light. It consists of two components, a real part and an imaginary part. The real part determines the speed of light in the medium, while the imaginary part accounts for the absorption or dissipation of the light.

3. How does the complex refractive index affect the deflection of waves?

The complex refractive index plays a crucial role in determining the deflection of waves in dissipative media. The imaginary part of the refractive index causes a loss of energy in the wave as it travels through the medium, leading to a change in the direction of the wave. The real part of the refractive index also influences the speed of the wave, which can further affect the deflection.

4. Can the deflection of waves be controlled in dissipative media with a complex refractive index?

Yes, the deflection of waves can be controlled to some extent in dissipative media with a complex refractive index. By manipulating the properties of the medium, such as its composition or temperature, the complex refractive index can be altered, leading to a change in the direction of the waves.

5. What are the practical applications of studying deflection of waves in dissipative media with a complex refractive index?

Studying the deflection of waves in dissipative media has various practical applications, such as in optics, telecommunications, and materials science. This research is crucial for developing new materials with specific optical properties, designing efficient communication systems, and understanding the behavior of waves in various environments.