1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refraction and Complex refractive index

1. Mar 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At a wavelength of 400nm, the semiconductor ZnSe has a complex refractive index n= 3.0+0.32i

A) If 400nm is incidient from air onto ZnSe with θ=tan-1(NR) = 71.6°,
    What is the refraction angle of the transmitted wave?

B) Calculate the magnitude R and phase shift ψ associated with the amplitude reflection coefficient r for p-polarized 400nm radiation incident at 71.6°

C) If 400nm radiation with a unit polarization vector 1/√2[1 0] is incident at 71.6 on the air-ZnSe interface, find the unit polarization vector that describes the reflected radiation.

[The matrix is vertical, not horizontal, I'm new with the formatting on this forum :) ]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For part a, i tried using snell's law and just omitted the imaginary part, I'm not sure if it's the right answer because of that though. For the others, I have no idea where to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2012 #2
    The idea of snell's law is the tangential wavevector must match. It's up to the medium to determine the vertical wavevector given the total wavenumber in the medium, which in your case is complex. Don't be surprised to see a complex wavevector, which corresponds to decaying wave, since it's a lossy medium you're looking at

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook