Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deforming Contour of complex function

1. Feb 4, 2009 #1
    First, thank you for reading this.

I've got a complex function, F(z), which is assumed to be analytic, and I know it's values along a contour in the complex plane. Say, for simplicity, that contour is known parametrically as x(t) = cos(t), y(t) = sin(t), 0 < t< pi, thus I know F(x(t) + i*y(t)), and possibly dF/dt.

What I want to do is obtain F(x), that is what is F along the real axis?

What I have done so far is to assume that F obeys the Cauchy-Riemann equations, then if
    F(x,y) = u(x,y) + i*v(x,y), I can get du/dy and dv/dy from the information in dF/dt (sets up a nice little matrix problem). Then I can take an integration step towards the real axis to get F at a new contour (e.g. y(t) = 0.99sin(t), x(t) = cos(t)), I can then find dF/dt along this contour (sadly, only through a finite difference formula, or interpolation) and then find du/dy and dv/dy again, take a new step, etc.. until y(t) = 0. It works pretty well for simple test cases, such as, F(z) = z^n, etc. However, it seems to be a little unstable as well when F gets a little more complicated, that is errors tend to build and sometimes the function "explodes" before I get to the real axis.

What I would like to know is if this has been done (in a better way) by someone else, and where I could go about looking. My google searches haven't resulted in much and I don't know my way around the math journals. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2009 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This can be done. If F(z) is analytic and defined over some contour of nonzero length, it should be possible to analytically continue F to the whole complex plane (in a unique way).

The Kramers-Kronig relations demonstrate one example. If F is defined on either the real axis or the imaginary axis, the entire function can be found by doing some integrals.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?