Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degenerate perturbation theory (Sakurai's textbook)

1. Jan 14, 2014 #1
    In the theory of degenerate perturbation in Sakurai’s textbook, Modern Quantum Mechanics Chapter 5, the perturbed Hamiltonian is [itex] H|l\rangle=(H_0 +\lambda V) |l\rangle =E|l\rangle [/itex] which is written as [itex]0=(E-H_0-\lambda V) |l\rangle [/itex](the formula (5.2.2)). By projecting [itex]P_1[/itex] from the left ([itex]P_1=1-P_0[/itex] and [itex]P_0[/itex] is projection operator onto the degenerate subspace):

[itex]-\lambda P_1 V P_0|l\rangle +(E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V)P_1|l\rangle=0 [/itex] (5.2.4)

Then from this, the formula below is obtained:

[itex]P_1|l\rangle =P_1 \frac{\lambda}{E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V P_1}P_1 V P_0|l\rangle [/itex] (5.2.5)

But I never can reach to (5.2.5) from (5.2.4). Could anyone please help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2014 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Multiply (5.2.4) by (E−H0−λP1V)-1, provided it exists.

4. Jan 14, 2014 #3
    Thanks, But it gives
    [itex]P_1|l\rangle =\frac{\lambda P_1 V P_0}{(E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V)}|l\rangle[/itex] which is not the same as (5.2.5). Could you please guide me completely?

5. Jan 14, 2014 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Put now P_1 on both sides to the left and use that this is a projector (idempotent).

6. Jan 15, 2014 #5
    Right, Thanks. But all my problem is with the extra [itex]P_1[/itex]in the denominator of (5.2.5). Where does it come from? In my idea, it seems to be a mistyped mistake. Also I think the formula (5.2.15) is mistyped because the sum hasn't to be over the degenerate space! However I am not confident about my idea (I have also seen exactly those formula in the new version of the book, 2011).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  7. Jan 16, 2014 #6

Avodyne

Science Advisor

[itex]-\lambda P_1 V P_0|l\rangle +(E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V)P_1|l\rangle=0 [/itex] (5.2.4)

This is equivalent to

[itex]-\lambda P_1 V P_0|l\rangle +(E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V P_1)P_1|l\rangle=0 [/itex]

because

[itex]P_1^2=P_1[/itex]

since it is a projection operator.

8. Jan 17, 2014 #7
    Thank you and dextercioby. It still remains another question. Why don't we regard the relation as [itex]P_1|l\rangle =\frac{\lambda P_1 V P_0}{(E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V)}|l\rangle[/itex]? Is it necessary to include the extra [itex]P_1[/itex]?

9. Jan 17, 2014 #8

Avodyne

Science Advisor

This is not a valid expression, because [itex]P_1 V P_0[/itex] and [itex](E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V)^{-1}[/itex] do not commute. They must be written in a definite order.

Strictly speaking, it's not necessary. However, it is helpful, because [itex]P_1 V P_1[/itex] is hermitian, and clearly acts only in the subspace projected by [itex]P_1[/itex].

10. Jan 19, 2014 #9
    Excuse me. I don't understand your above sentence. Do you mean that if we use extra[itex]P_1[/itex] in the denominator, then[itex]P_1 V P_0[/itex] and [itex](E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V)^{-1}[/itex] would commute?

11. Jan 20, 2014 #10

Avodyne

Science Advisor

No, they don't commute whether or not you include the extra [itex]P_1[/itex], so they must be written in a particular order.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook