Degree of Freedom: Definition & Examples - Confused? Ask Here!

In summary, degree of freedom refers to the minimum number of independent coordinates needed to describe the configuration of a system. This can be viewed as the number of parameters needed to specify the position and orientation of the system. In the case of the rotator and particle system described, there are 9 degrees of freedom according to the book, but some may argue that there are only 7 due to certain constraints. The number of degrees of freedom is not limited to 3, as it refers to the number of independent coordinates needed, not the number of dimensions in space. Generalized coordinates are often used to describe these coordinates in more complicated systems.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
Hello. I am a little confused with the definition of degree of freedom, since i always count it wrong when it is necessary:
Is it the number of coord?inates necessary to describe the problem, or the number of independent coordinates

I ask this because, for example, see this problem:
A rotator with a symmetric axis + a particle. Both interacting via a potential V(|r-R|). How many degree of freedom the system have?
The answer, second the book, is 9.
BUT, i would say that the center of mass is fixed, and since the rotator is symmetric, rotation about its axis is useless. So we have $$9 - 1 (CM) - 1 = 7$$. 7 coordinates necessary to describe the motion, so 7 Degree of freedom? Namely, $$x,y,z,X,Y,\theta,\phi$$ (Z is determined by CM position).

What am i interpretating wrong?

• Informative
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Why would the center of mass be fixed? (If it were then you would have to remove three spatial coordinates.)

That an object has a symmetric axis does not mean it cannot rotate about that axis. Consider a disk spinning around its center of mass around an axis perpendicular to it. By your reasoning that should have zero degrees of freedom but it certainly does not.

Likes LCSphysicist
Orodruin said:
Why would the center of mass be fixed? (If it were then you would have to remove three spatial coordinates.)

That an object has a symmetric axis does not mean it cannot rotate about that axis. Consider a disk spinning around its center of mass around an axis perpendicular to it. By your reasoning that should have zero degrees of freedom but it certainly does not.
Oops :( I assumed that ausence of external force implies the center of mass does not move. DAmn Aristoteles XD Sometimes this fools me.

Ok, so the degree of freedom in general are reduced only by geometrical constraints?

Herculi said:
Homework Statement:: .
Relevant Equations:: .

since the rotator is symmetric, rotation about its axis is useless.
You need to be careful here also. The statement is that the rotor has an axis of symmetry not that it has circular symmetry (about that axis). The complete circular symmetry would obviate that degree of freedom.

Last edited:
Herculi said:
Is it the number of coordinates necessary to describe the problem, or the number of independent coordinates?
Please, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degrees_of_freedom_(mechanics)

"The degree of freedom of a system can be viewed as the minimum number of coordinates required to specify a configuration."

Likes Delta2
hutchphd said:
The complete circular symmetry obviate take away that degree of freedom.
You are arguing that the disk described above in #2 has zero degrees of freedom?

I think so. How could it couple ?

Herculi said:
Hello. I am a little confused with the definition of degree of freedom ...
Is it the number of coord?inates necessary to describe the problem, or the number of independent coordinates
The number of DoFs is the minimum number of coordinates needed to describe the configuration of a system. The coordinates must be independent.

Herculi said:
since the rotator is symmetric, rotation about its axis is useless
The purpose of a rotator is to rotate. Or you would not deliberately specify a rotator! Consequently, the angle of rotation is an essential parameter (as opposed to ‘useless’!).

Maybe pretend that the (symmetrical) rotator has a dot of paint somewhere off-axis. (And do rotators have to be symmetric?)

Assuming no constraints:
How many parameters are needed to determine the position of the centre of mass of the rotator?
How many parameters are needed to determine the orientation of the rotator?
How many parameters are needed to determine the position of the particle?
What’s the total?

EDIT. Aha, didn't see the recent posts while composing the above.

Likes Delta2
What I never understood about degrees of freedom is how we can have systems with more than 3 degrees of freedom since the maximum number of coordinates is 3 (at least in classical physics we are in 3D space +1 dimension for time).

Ok if I understand it now, the coordinates we talk about are not the coordinates of the system of reference but something like the generalized coordinates in Lagrangian Mechanics.

Delta2 said:
What I never understood about degrees of freedom is how we can have systems with more than 3 degrees of freedom since the maximum number of coordinates is 3 (at least in classical physics we are in 3D space +1 dimension for time).

Ok if I understand it now, the coordinates we talk about are not the coordinates of the system of reference but something like the generalized coordinates in Lagrangian Mechanics.
Yes. We (as physics students) probably first met the term 'degree of freedom' when learning about ideal gases. E.g. for an ideal gas of each (point) particle has 3 degrees of freedom.

But the term 'degree of freedom' is much more widely used. For example in robotics, the following machine has 5 degrees of freedom. Some parameters (e.g. arm-lengths) are fixed but some parameters (5 angles) are not:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/319127421/figure/fig2/AS:631651373695060@1527608831974/Five-degrees-of-freedom-robot-arm-model.png

• Informative
Likes dlgoff, berkeman, Lnewqban and 1 other person
hutchphd said:
I think so. How could it couple ?
By this argument a disk rotating about its center will have no kinetic energy or angular momentum.

We regularly ignore most of the universe when we define an "isolated" system. The argument I would put forward is that these are not mutable.

1. What is the definition of degree of freedom?

Degree of freedom refers to the number of independent variables that can vary in a statistical analysis or experiment. It represents the number of values that are free to vary without being constrained by other variables.

2. How is degree of freedom calculated?

The degree of freedom is calculated by subtracting the number of constraints from the total number of variables. In statistical analysis, it is typically represented by the symbol "df".

3. What is an example of degree of freedom?

One example of degree of freedom is in a chi-square test, where the degree of freedom is calculated by subtracting 1 from the number of categories in the data. For example, if there are 4 categories, the degree of freedom would be 3.

4. Why is degree of freedom important in statistics?

Degree of freedom is important in statistics because it affects the accuracy and reliability of statistical tests and analyses. It allows researchers to determine the appropriate number of variables to include in their analysis and helps to avoid overfitting the data.

5. How does degree of freedom impact the results of a statistical test?

The degree of freedom can impact the results of a statistical test by affecting the critical values and p-values used to determine the significance of the results. A higher degree of freedom typically results in a more accurate and reliable test, while a lower degree of freedom may lead to less accurate results.