1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics, degree of freedom question

1. Oct 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the DoF (mobility) of the following system:

3026041de8b9529d84160ec6964b3ec4.png

2. Relevant equations

M = 3(L-1) - 2J1 - J2

(where L = number of links, J1 is the number of full binary joints and J2 is the number of half joints.

3. The attempt at a solution

I am very confident about there being 9 links, and 1 half-joint (the pin in the slot above the L link) but I am unsure about the number of full joints which I numbered here.

2b60e7e0a8424c6c6a8b32d4ec9c2d8a.png

I know from 1-7 should be correct, but I don't know about the joints on the slider. Should there only be two binary joints for each like I put there? Which is basically one ternary joint... 2 on the rigid link 'L' and on the link to which the slider is attached.

And if I am correct I take it there is only 1 DoF then, which is the rotational of the circle attached to the top?

Help would be appreciated here.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I presume the straight lines are strings. What happens when two straight lines meet at a little circle? Is it a pulley? Is it a post to which they are knotted? What about when three strings meet at a little circle? Can the little circles move?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted