Degree of freedom of gravitino

Main Question or Discussion Point

Please tell me how to count the degree of freedom of gravitino on the mass-shell? I read http://arxiv.org/abs/1112.3502, but I can't understand it. How about supervielbein?

Answers and Replies

haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Take a look at Van Proeyen's online notes on SUGRA, or his book with Freedman. There it is really explicitly explained, both of-shell and on-shell :)

The Vielbein's DOF's are easy (of-shell): it's a matrix, so it has D^2 components in D dimensions. Local Lorentz transformations make you subtract 1/2*D*(D-1) components from it, leaving you with 1/2*D*(D+1) components for the metric. Which is the right amount for a symmetric tensor like the metric.

Take a look at Van Proeyen's online notes on SUGRA, or his book with Freedman. There it is really explicitly explained, both of-shell and on-shell :)

The Vielbein's DOF's are easy (of-shell): it's a matrix, so it has D^2 components in D dimensions. Local Lorentz transformations make you subtract 1/2*D*(D-1) components from it, leaving you with 1/2*D*(D+1) components for the metric. Which is the right amount for a symmetric tensor like the metric.
dear haushofer,I want to obtain the DOF of gravitino, but I just found the final answer at Supergravity by Freedman and Van Proeyen..I know gravitino has 2^[d/2](d-1) components in the off-shell formalism (i use local susy gauge invariance)..but I don't understand how to obtain DOF of gravitino in the on-shell formalism? (with E.O.M ##\gamma^\mu\psi_\mu=0## ) The answer is 2^[d/2]/2(d-3). Moreover I find at the book of SUGRA by West witch superveilbein (not vielbein) has 8*8*8 DOF (and general coordinate transformations and super local lorentz transformations subtract 8*8+8*6 components ) in 4-dim, but how to count these DOF?

haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
What is it exactly that you don't understand of the treatment of Van Proeyen? He does it very explicitly on-shell, in section 5.1. It's basically a survey of the amount of initial conditions to be specified if you rewrite the EOM in terms of an antisymmetric derivative. :)