Del operator with coordinate transformations

• Thread starter Curl
  • Start date
How can you express the del operator after a change of variables? For example, if I want to use cylindrical coordinates for a fluids problem, what is the del operator in terms of the new coordinates?

And how do you derive it for any other arbitrary coordinate transforms?

Answers and Replies

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
1. A (3-D) set of coordinates can be said to specify three types of basic surfaces, each associated with holding one of the variables constant.
For example, for cylindrical coordinates, z=constant are planes parallell to the xy-plane, theta=constant are half-planes (ending in the line x=y=0) , whereas r=constant specifies a cylindrical shell.

2. To each of these surfaces, there will be, at every point, an associated normal vector, and the proper length element associated with a(n infinitesemal) change in a particular variable.
For the cylindrical coordinates, those length elements are:
[tex]dz, rd\theta, dr[/tex]

dz is the length element by changing from one z=constant plane to the "next", rdtheta the arc length you traverse between two half-planes each specified by a constant theta, and dr moving from one cylindrical shell to the next.

3. For an arbitrary coordinate system, our del-operator will look like:
[tex]\nabla=\vec{i}_{1}\frac{\partial}{\partial{l}_{1}}+\vec{i}_{2}\frac{\partial}{\partial{l}_{2}}+ \vec{i}_{3}\frac{\partial}{\partial{l}_{3}}[/tex]
where the vectors are the normal vectors, whereas [itex]\partial{l}_{1}[/itex] denotes the associated length element.
Thus, for cylindrical coordinates, we have:
[tex]\nabla=\vec{i}_{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}+\vec{i}_{\theta}\frac{\partial}{r\partial\theta}+ \vec{i}_{z}\frac{\partial}{\partial{z}}[/tex]

4. When using the del operator, it will often be necessary to remember that in non-Cartesian coordinate systems, the normal vectors will be non-constant functions of the variables themselves.

Last edited:
HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
How can you express the del operator after a change of variables? For example, if I want to use cylindrical coordinates for a fluids problem, what is the del operator in terms of the new coordinates?

And how do you derive it for any other arbitrary coordinate transforms?

Use the chain rule. Given a function f(x,y,z), the "del" or "grad" is
[itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\vec{j}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\vec{k}[/itex]
in Cartesian coordinates.

In cylindrical coordinates,
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/tex]

[itex]r= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}= (x^2+ y^2)^{1/2}[/itex] so [itex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}= (1/2)(x^2+ y^2)^{-1/2}(2x)[/itex][itex]= \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}}= \frac{r cos(\theta)}{r}= cos(\theta)[/itex]
[itex]\theta= arctan(\frac{y}{x})[/itex] so [itex]\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}= \frac{1}{1+ \frac{y^2}{x^2}}\frac{-y}{x^2}[/itex][itex]= \frac{-y}{x^2+ y^2}= \frac{-r sin(\theta)}{r^2}= -\frac{1}{r}sin(\theta)[/itex].
Of course, since x, y, and z are independent variables, of course [itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}= 0[/itex].

So [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}= cos(\theta)\frac{\partial f}{\partial r}- \frac{1}{r}sin(\theta)\frac{\partial f}{\partial \theta}[/itex]
and similarly for [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/itex]. [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}[/itex] is the same in cylidrical coordinates.

Here, I have left the vector in the [itex]\vec{i}[/itex], [itex]\vec{j}[/itex], and [itex]\vec{k}[/itex] basis. Arildno put them in terms of vectors in the "r" and "[itex]\theta[/itex]" directions.

Last edited by a moderator:
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
HallsofIvy has given you a detailed derivation of a specific case of transformation.

In order to prove the general result (i.e, what I gave you without any proof), it would be necessary to make a generalization out of HallsofIvy's proof for the special case.

Okay, so you transform from F(x,y,z) to f(r,θ,z), and grad f is simply i ∂f/∂x + j ∂f/∂y + k ∂f/∂z, using chain rule to compute the partial derivatives?

Here, I have left the vector in the [itex]\vec{i}[/itex], [itex]\vec{j}[/itex], and [itex]\vec{k}[/itex] basis. Arildno put them in terms of vectors in the "r" and "[itex]\theta[/itex]" directions.

I'm not following this part. How do you switch between the two bases?

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Okay, so you transform from F(x,y,z) to f(r,θ,z), and grad f is simply i ∂f/∂x + j ∂f/∂y + k ∂f/∂z, using chain rule to compute the partial derivatives?
Correct.
I'm not following this part. How do you switch between the two bases?
We have:
[tex]\vec{i}_{r}=\cos\theta\vec{i}+\sin\theta\vec{j},\vec{i}_{\theta}=-\sin\theta\vec{i}+\cos\theta\vec{j}[/tex]

Inverting this, we get the useful relations:
[tex]\vec{i}=\cos\theta\vec{i}_{r}-\sin\theta\vec{i}_{\theta}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{j}=\sin\theta\vec{i}_{r}+\cos\theta\vec{i}_{\theta}[/tex]

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Correct.

We have:
[tex]\vec{i}_{r}=\cos\theta\vec{i}+\sin\theta\vec{j},\vec{i}_{\theta}=-\sin\theta\vec{i}+\cos\theta\vec{j}[/tex]

Inverting this, we get the useful relations:
[tex]\vec{i}=\cos\theta\vec{i}_{r}-\sin\theta\vec{i}_{\theta}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{j}=\sin\theta\vec{i}_{r}+\cos\theta\vec{i}_{\theta}[/tex]

In accordance with HallsofIvy's post, we therefore get:
[tex]\frac{\partial{F}}{\partial{x}}\vec{i}+\frac{\partial{F}}{\partial{y}}\vec{j}=(\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{r}}\frac{\partial{r}}{\partial{x}}+\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial\theta}\frac{\partial\theta}{\partial{x}})(\cos\theta\vec{i}_{r}-\sin\theta\vec{i}_{\theta})+(\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{r}}\frac{\partial{r}}{\partial{y}}+\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial\theta}\frac{\partial\theta}{\partial{y}})(\sin\theta\vec{i}_{r}+\cos\theta\vec{i}_{\theta})[/tex]
Substituting, we get:
[tex]=(\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{r}}\cos\theta-\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial\theta}\frac{\sin\theta}{r})(\cos\theta\vec{i}_{r}-\sin\theta\vec{i}_{\theta})+(\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{r}}\sin\theta+\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial\theta}\frac{\cos\theta}{r})(\sin\theta\vec{i}_{r}+\cos\theta\vec{i}_{\theta})[/tex]
Simplify and rearrange that expression to get the planar components of the gradient in cylindrical co-ordinates (the vertical component is, of course, unchanged).

Last edited:
Thanks a lot to both of you.

What I was confused about is switching bases in the general case. In cylindrical coordinates its easier to see it geometrically, but in the general case its not always obvious; so I was wondering if there is a technique for solving the problem with other transforms. Maybe its too difficult and I should stick to simpler problems, I don't know.