Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dell Computers: Fantastic support

1. Nov 24, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have been a Dell fan for about ten years now, but their technical support never ceases to surprise me. I do buy the premium care package, but considering the heavy use my computers get, often in industrial environments, I come out way ahead.

What surprises me is how Dell goes out of its way to be sure that I don't have any problems. They actually ask questions and seek out opportunities to provide additional assistance. And best of all, they will either expedite the required part, if one is needed, or they send a tech out to replace the part for me. What more can I ask?

This time, in addition to the intermittent failure of my CD/DVD that motivated the chat, which got me a new DVD player, we ended up replacing the screen and the keypad - both minor issues that I didn't even intend to hold them liable for. I cracked the screen myself, but they reviewed my warranty and determined that I was covered.

I deal with tech support from at least dozens of companies, no doubt hundreds over the years [maybe more] as a function of my job, and we have purchased the cushy warranties from other companies from time to time, but Dell provides the best support that I have seen anywhere.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2008 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really? I've been unimpressed, both with Dell computers and their tech support. I can't wait to replace the PC (Piece of Crap) I have now from Dell. Maybe that's the trick, you have to pay an arm and a leg for customer support. If you just go with the basic support you get with new purchases, you get very little. I don't care for the idea of having to pay extra just to get customer service...that should automatically come with a purchase.

4. Nov 24, 2008 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think it all comes down to how you talk to them.

I remember getting a huge phone bill (nearly $1000) and I talked myself out of it completely. And asked if they get rid of the following months bill too since that one was high as well. They did both no problems.

Note: This is Rogers Wireless.

5. Nov 24, 2008 #4
    Jeez man, lay off the phone sex hotline.

6. Nov 24, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Moonbear, being that I probably place as much demand on a computer as anyone, and considering that virtually anyone in my field has a Dell, I would say your case is unique. Of course, I don't know what quality computer you purchased. But I can tell you, sitting in an office at a university is not a stressful environment for a computer. You wouldn't believe the places my computer has been.

7. Nov 24, 2008 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Was it 1-800... or 1-900...?

8. Nov 24, 2008 #7
    My roommate has a Dell laptop and has had some issues with his graphics card and each time Dell has sent a guy over to our apartment to replace whatever parts needed to be switched out, plus more. This has happened about 3 times now.

Sure that's great service... you know what's even better? I've had my sony laptop just as long as he's had his dell, and I've never even had to call sony tech support because nothing's gone wrong....

9. Nov 24, 2008 #8

turbo

Gold Member

In Maine, Dell's service involves calling script-monkeys in India ("you must first de-gauss your monitor" for an LCD display that was horrible!) and calling over and over again. Dell sucks.

10. Nov 24, 2008 #9
    Every time I called they were exceptionally helpful. My laptop hard drive failed. I called them to reinstall the OS on my computer. I paid them 60 bucks-ish. I was installing the drivers. When I had a problem I connected it online and he did it remote from india for me. Saved us both a lot of hassle and phone calls.

11. Nov 24, 2008 #10

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Buy the on site support, especially for laptops
    You call their service centre, ignore them while they go through their script suggest you reinstall windows then give them the service tag.
    Remember that the guy that comes out is a contractor and doesn't work for Dell - it's not his fault and he doesn't like them any more than you.
    Be nice to him because he is going to be back tomorrow because Dell will have sent him the wrong part.
    My record is 12 visits for a laptop with a faulty touch pad (at $400/visit) including wrong parts and the tech breaking the case while fitting the part.
    But they keep coming back until you are happy

12. Nov 24, 2008 #11
    Yeah haha! My roommate has a new keyboard, new battery, new graphics card, new motherboard, new lcd.... none of which except for the graphics card was necessary. The guys who come out to replace the parts are usually really friendly and I've always had good conversations with them.

The best part is that it first went wrong around 8 months after buying the laptop, but then something went wrong again around 6 months later, so originally this would have been out of warranty, but because it wasn't yet 12 months from the first visit, he was still covered.

13. Nov 24, 2008 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

From my clients, it sounds like Dell computers have lots of problems, which seems to be what everyone here is saying.

I prefer a computer that "doesn't" fall apart, and doesn't have to send anyone out. :tongue2:

14. Nov 24, 2008 #13

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are total crap machines you wouldn't touch,
    There are super rugged 5x the price military/industrial models
    Then there is every brand you have ever heard of, Dell, Lenova, HP, Apple - They are pretty much all built to the same standards in the same factories from the same parts.

15. Nov 24, 2008 #14

Evo

Toshiba's are built like tanks. You can use a top of the line Toshiba laptop to drive nails into concrete.

16. Nov 24, 2008 #15

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As are Panasonic Toughbooks. But you pay for it in high cost/poor performance.
    We used to use Itronix rugged laptops but you need to have a defense dept type budget to get any service from.

17. Nov 24, 2008 #16

Evo

My Toshiba Portege performed wonderfully.

18. Nov 24, 2008 #17

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have a Dell, and I beat it to crap. Ask anyone who knows me.

19. Nov 24, 2008 #18
    No one knows anyone who knows you to ask.

20. Nov 24, 2008 #19
    Why didn't you change the touch pad yourself? When I broke the key on my keyboard while running my hand across it with a paper towel to clean it (my own fault) i bought a new one and put it in there myself. It took a whole 10 mins. Computer repairs are stupidly easy. Everything is modular. You unscrew something. Take it out of the slot. Put the new part in the same slot, and screw everything back in.

21. Nov 24, 2008 #20

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The good part about the internet. :smile:

My e-stats...

- Sexy
    - Genius
    - Rich
    - Built
    ...etc...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?