Dell Tries to Scam Me: Horrible Tech Support & Unwarranted Warranties

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the person had a terrible experience with their new Dell laptop, including repeated problems and difficulties with tech support in India. They were pressured to purchase a software warranty despite not having any software issues and were not allowed to disconnect from remote service. They decided to return the laptop and were able to get a full refund from the company they purchased it from. They also mention their preference for HP and their US-based tech support.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I bought a new Dell laptop the end of September and have had repeated problems with it. Tonight was the worst, locking up and making a screaching noise, unable to do anything for over a minute, then back to normal, so called their tech support, which is in India. I have always had HP, their tech support is in the US. That has never been an issue for me, I can usually get along with tech support in other countries, but this guy had a really thick accent.

Anyway, he did some basic tests and didn't find anything wrong, then told me that I had to buy their
"Software Warranty". I told them the laptop was new and was under warranty. He said it didn't cover software. I asked what software? He had no answer, said he had to transfer me, all this time they had control of my computer, I had no option to disconnect, which was odd, I always have the option to disconnect.

So I get another guy from India with a very thick accent. He tells me that I have to buy their software warranty. I ask why. He says because of the problem I called them about. I said they found no problems. Silence. Oh yes, there were problems. I ask what problems, I was told there were no problems. Silence.

Oh yes, there were problems and I need to buy the warranty. I said I was told there were no problems, email me the problems. Silence.

Oh no, we cannot email that.

I'm not buying some "software warranty". I have not downloaded any software. I've only read email, accessed PF and Facebook on this POS.

"Oh, you must".

Me: "Why"

Because you have had problems.

Me: You said I had no problems. This went on for another 5 minutes then I told them that I didn't have the authority to make purchases and my boss had to approve it and to release my computer to me and my boss would contact them. This seemed to upset them and they released my computer and disconnected.

I have had HP computers for at least 20 years and NEVER EVER had to deal with anything like this EVER.

I will try to find someone in the US to complain to tomorrow, if you know a number or someone, I would appreciate it. I cannot believe what I went through tonight. I will NEVER buy Dell again. I will NEVER recommend Dell. Buy HP!

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
I will try to find someone in the US to complain to tomorrow, if you know a number or someone, I would appreciate it. I cannot believe what I went through tonight. I will NEVER buy Dell again. I will NEVER recommend Dell. Buy HP!

You had shocking customer support! And it doesn't help when the call center is overseas and sometimes you can't understand what they are saying. Definitely complain to Dell in the US. You could try the Sales team, http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/category/Contact-Information/Sales, and ask to be put through to someone that is in the US to whom you wish to complain about technical support.

And not allowing you to disconnect the remote service?! That's not good...

Can you still return it?

Dell fell off the map 8 or so years ago. I buy ASUS now.

Likes nsaspook, Evo, mheslep and 4 others
StevieTNZ said:
And not allowing you to disconnect the remote service?! That's not good...
DISCLAIMER: NOT RECOMMENDED When I had/have troubles with Windoze 10, the first time took a little courage to give it a good swift kick in the seat of the pants --- since then it's become routine for me to say (figuratively), "Oh no you don't," and just "cold cock" it right in the middle of anything it happens to be doing; actually seems to be beneficial as far as "housebreaking" the thing. i.e., it's been much more tractable since I developed "an attitude" toward it. Your mileage will probably vary wildly.

Likes Evo
Vanadium 50 said:
Dude, you got a Dell!

This has been going on for years. From 2012: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Dell-Tech-Support-Warranty-Win-Sweepstakes,16933.html Dell apparently is OK with this - they got your money, right? And it's been going on for four years, right?
I called the online company I bought my laptop from the end of September and mentioned this and they said send it back, full refund, no questions. Thank you! It was a 60 second discussion, my head was spinning.

The full credit has already hit my account. They said just ship it back in the next 15 days.

Last edited:
Likes mheslep, davenn, Borg and 1 other person
vela said:
Can you still return it?
Luckily I bought it from a reputable company that has nothing to do with Dell. So I got an instant refund even before returning it AND 2 months after buying it.

Evo said:
I have always had HP, their tech support is in the US.

Maybe HP has their tech support for laptops in the US, but at least a decade ago, as part of my job, I called HP tech support for a tape drive unit and got such-tech-support-as-was-given from overseas.

Stephen Tashi said:
Maybe HP has their tech support for laptops in the US, but at least a decade ago, as part of my job, I called HP tech support for a tape drive unit and got such-tech-support-as-was-given from overseas.
I've been using HP for at least 20-30 years, but for computers and always got US techs, can't say about tape drives. :( But to be honest, I never had to call them about a computer problem, only questions to do with off the wall stuff and they helped me with it for free.

Greg Bernhardt said:
That's true, I always have ASUS and they have never failed me. I only had to replace them when I destroyed them myself (spill water on the keyboard) or my friend stepped on the screen and broke it in the dormitory :D (it was under the pillow and she stood on it to close the window) Other than that, I find that ASUS can run without any problems for years. They can survive several falls on the floor, too. And works well with Linux.

Anyway, Evo, your experience is scary indeed! I'm glad you can return the computer and that you already got your money back. It's incredible what big companies can do. They can lie and scam and no one seems to care because they are large and have lots of advertisement.

Recently many people, including me were fooled by a huge advert that one of the largest online sellers (I think they are in most of Europe) offers free weekend delivery for all purchases over 10€. So many people ordered but after reading comments on the internet, it seems no one has received anything yet. Some have paid using credit cards amounts as high as 400-500€ (which can be more than half of the average monthly salary for most people) and still haven't got their products after 2 or even 3 weeks when it was advertised you get it in 24 hours. I am lucky that I chose to pay after delivery, so I canceled my order immediately and found another store, which has the product even a bit cheaper.

I also had a bad experience with Amazon.

I find that small local businesses are often much better then the well-known large ones. The small ones try their best to get customers and build a good name so they will do everything to serve you well.

Likes Evo
Greg Bernhardt said:

This is what I did, exactly 8 years ago too :p

Ok,I have purchased a new computer, it should be here in a few days, I am keeping my fingers crossed. I will report back after I get the new one up and running.

Likes EnumaElish and Sophia
Got my new NOT DELL computer today. OMG, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The sound is so much louder, no more static, no more awful tinny sound. The computer is so much faster, and it isn't that different, the only difference it that it only has 8GB of Ram instead of the 12 that the Dell had but for what I use it for it shouldn't matter.

The Dell would run slow, would lock up, freeze, then the last straw was when it froze and made a high pitched screeching noise that went on for at least a minute. Called Dell tech support in India, "no lady, no problem lady", but you must buy software warranty", this was for a brand new computer!, and transferred me to his "manager" when I refused. BYE BYE DELL.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, Rubidium_71 and Sophia
Same kind of experience with Dell. My wife got me a Dell laptop for Xmas in 2008 (she meant well). Dell is a scam. They are on my "never again" list.

This is good to know.

I guess I never figured this with Dell, b/c it seems like such a big name. I would have figured those "budget" laptop companies like ASUS would have bad tech support or "scammy" stuff.

1. Why did Dell try to scam you?

Dell may have tried to scam you because they may have a policy of upselling unnecessary warranties and tech support services in order to increase their profits. They may also have a commission-based system that incentivizes their employees to sell more products and services.

2. How did you know it was a scam?

You may have realized it was a scam if Dell's representatives were overly aggressive in trying to sell you additional warranties or services, or if they were pressuring you to make a purchase without fully explaining the details or benefits of the product or service.

3. Did you report the scam?

It is important to report any fraudulent or deceptive practices to the appropriate authorities. You can report Dell's actions to the Federal Trade Commission, your state's consumer protection agency, or the Better Business Bureau.

4. Can you get a refund for the unwarranted warranties?

If you were convinced to purchase unwarranted warranties or services by Dell's deceptive practices, you may be eligible for a refund. Contact Dell's customer service department or your credit card company to request a refund.

5. How can I protect myself from falling for a similar scam?

To protect yourself from falling for a scam like this, always research a company and their products or services before making a purchase. Be wary of high-pressure sales tactics and always read the fine print before agreeing to any purchases or contracts.