1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Delta x in the derivation of Lagrange equation

1. Nov 24, 2017 #1
    Hello PF,

I was doing the derivation of the Lagrange equation of motion and had to do some calculus of variations.

The first step in the derivation is to multiply the integral of ƒ(y(x),y'(x);x)dx from x1 to x2 by δ.

and then by the chain rule we proceed. But I cannot understand why we are not applying the chain rule to x too. All the proofs omit this part saying that x1 x2 are fixed and thus it goes to zero.

The book I am using is "Classical dynamics of Particles and Systems" by Marion and Thornton.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is not a multiplication by delta. It is the variation of the integral based on variations in the functional argument y(x).

4. Nov 24, 2017 #3

Delta²

Gold Member

x is independent from the variations of y(x) as a function (but x depends on the variations of the values of the function y(x)).

What we mean by "variations of y(x) as a function" are other functions ##g_{\epsilon}(x)=y(x)+\epsilon\eta (x)## for some fixed function ##\eta(x)## and for any ##\epsilon>0##. So what we basically mean is that x is independent of ##\epsilon##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted