Democracy can only work effectively if the people voting

• News
  • Thread starter jamesb-uk
  • Start date

Luckily, there are restrictions on actual LIES in the media, though.

Honestly even then libel and defamation are extremely difficult to prove in the court of law. Here are the essential guidelines

-Statement must be false
-Statement must cause damage to the person(s) in question
-Media must have shown blatant disregard for the truth
-The statement must have been made with malicious intent (Thanks New York v. Sullivan)

jacksonpeeble
Gold Member

-The statement must have been made with malicious intent (Thanks New York v. Sullivan)

Well, the other three are reasonable.

Al68

Luckily, there are restrictions on actual LIES in the media, though.
I don't think so, at least not for political fraud. It's been rampant for decades in the U.S.

And the bulk of people have no idea about it, because their source for info is the fraudulent source.

russ_watters
Mentor

I don't think so, at least not for political fraud. It's been rampant for decades in the U.S.
There is no such thing as "political fraud", nor is it typically possible to libel/slander/defame a politician. The standards of proof are far too high. Here's a landmark case on the issue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Times_Co._v._Sullivan

Al68

There is no such thing as "political fraud"...
The fact that it's not illegal or actionable doesn't mean there's no such thing. My whole point was that there's no legal restrictions on the media or politicians committing such fraud.

The only part of the Constitution that lists things the government can't do is the bill of rights. The rest of the constitution is a structural document, outlining the structure, functionality, and duties (powers) of the government.

Anyway, yeah, the Constitution doesn't specifically discuss regulating corporations and none of the founding fathers ever mentioned it AFAIK. The US was originally based on a highly free version of capitalism, with the intention to have very little regulation. That wasn't much of an issue back then, as the industrial revolution hadn't happened yet and there was little need to heavily regulate corporations.

To expand on that thought...local newspapers (when reporting on local news) tend to function in the way the founders envisioned. However, national/international TV/cable news (plus the internet) and their thirst for ratings to derive advertising funds were not considered.

It really is too bad that the average American can't be relied on to find accurate news for themselves now. I think there does need to be some way to get unbiased (or at least as unbiased as possible) news, but I can't fathom how it would be done.

The BBC or PBS is probably your best bets. It actually refreshing once in a while to tune in to what seems like "real" news, instead of the meat-grinder BS that spews forth from the likes of a FoxNews or MSNBC....pure crap! :yuck: