1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density Change Caused by Temp. Change

1. May 17, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Density Change Caused by Temp. Change

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the change in the density [itex]\rho[/itex] of a substance, when the temperature changes by [itex]\Delta T[/itex], is given by [itex]\Delta \rho = - \beta \rho \Delta T[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\rho = \frac{m}{V}[/tex]
    [tex]\Delta V = \beta V \Delta T[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let [itex]\rho_1[/itex] and [itex]\rho_2[/itex] be the densities of the substance before and after the temp. change [itex]\Delta T[/itex]. After some algebra, I get:

[tex]\Delta \rho = \rho_2 - \rho_1 = - \beta \rho_2 \Delta T[/tex]

This differs from that given in the problem statements because [itex]\rho[/itex] is [itex]\rho_1[/itex] in the above. I guess this must be typo right?

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2007 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are the explicit densities before and after the increase in temperature? That is the key to getting this and a lot of people make a mistake. The density before is simple:

[tex] \rho_0=\frac{m}{V_0} [/tex]

but the final density is:

[tex] \rho = \frac{m}{(V_0+\Delta V)} [/tex]

4. May 18, 2007 #3
    Are you implying that I made a mistake? I have checked the algebra twice and I still get the result I got. If I use what you wrote for the densities, I still get the same result.

5. May 18, 2007 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ahh ok I see what you've done, my mistake. Yes I get the same answer as you so I'd wager it was a spelling error unless we both made the same mistake.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?