• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Clausius-Clapeyron equation to estimate sublimation pressure of water

Homework Statement:

Using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation and the triple-point data of water, estimate the sublimation pressure of water at ##-30°C## and compare to the value in your Thermodynamic Tables (Cengel and Boles).

Homework Equations:

##\int_1^2 (\frac {dP} P)_{sat}=\frac {\Delta h} {R} \int_1^2(\frac {dT} {T^2})_{sat}##
Before this question, the questions were about the Clapeyron equation, and how to estimate ##\Delta s##. I'm completely put off by this question however, and don't know where to start.

I've found that the triple point of water is at ##0.01°C##, and there is indeed data in the table for saturated water, for that temperature. So I know I've got this data available to me, but what next? I know also that sublimation is a state transition directly from a solid to a gas. How is sublimation linked to the triple point, and how do I manipulate this equation to find a single pressure?

After integration, the equation involves two pressures and two temperatures: what are states ##1## and ##2##, and in what state are we taking ##\Delta h## at?

Answers and Replies

You are trying to determine the equilibrium vapor pressure of ice at -30 C, knowing the equilibrium vapor pressure and the molar heat of sublimation at 0.01 C (assuming that the heat of sublimation does not change significantly over the intervening temperature range).

After reading your response, I've had an attempt at the solution, and can't seem to reach the right answer.

I took phase ##1## to be at ##-30°C##, and phase ##2## at ##0.01°C##. Manipulating the equation to find the pressure at phase ##1##:

##ln(P_1)=ln(P_2)-\frac {\Delta h} R (\frac 1 {T_1} - \frac 1 {T_2})_{sat}##

##R=8.31~JK^{-1}mol^{-1}## >> (assuming this is the same as ##8.31~JK^{-1}kg^{-1}##

##T_1=243.15~K##

##T_2=273.16~K##

##P_2## I took to be ##saturation~pressure## at the triple point. From the tables, this pressure is ##0.6117~kPa##.

##\Delta h##, initially, I took from the table. The table value for ##\Delta h## at ##0.01°C## is ##2500.9~kJ/kg##. However, this value of ##\Delta h## I believe is the enthalpy of vaporisation, ##h_{fg}##.

Using this first value of ##\Delta h## provides an answer that couldn't possibly ever be correct. That's ##2500(1000)~J##.

So, I went online, and from Wikipedia I got a value for the ##enthalpy~of~sublimation## at ##273.15~K## (close enough). This value is ##51.1~kJ/mol## which I assume again, is the same as ##51.1~kJ/kg##.

Using these numbers in the equation, and multiplying the enthalpy by a thousand, yields the result:

##P_2=0.0380~kPa##.

The answer given is: ##P_2=0.03824~kPa##.

So there is a very small difference; insignificant, I would think. I'm just a little worried that I took a value off of the internet, rather than using the thermodynamic tables provided. I don't see however, where else I would get that value from. There is no such value for enthalpy of sublimation in the tables.

The heat of vaporization of water at 273 is 2501 kJ/kg and the heat of melting of water at 273 is 335 kJ/kg. So the heat of sublimation is 2501 + 335 = 2836 kJ/kg = 51048 J/mole. So your answer is correct: 38.1 Pa

Last edited:
After a little thinking, I believe I've made a mistake using the universal gas constant, ##8.31~J K^{-1}mol^{-1}##. I honestly don't know how I got the correct answer doing the calculation how I did. From the thermodynamic tables, the gas constant, ##R##, for steam, is ##0.4615~kJ kg^{-1} K^{-1}##. This means back in the equation, I no longer have to multiply by a thousand.

That's the gas constant sorted. Next, the enthalpy of sublimation:

##\Delta h_{sub}=51.1~\frac {kJ} {mol}(\frac {1~mol} {18.02~g})(\frac {1000~g} {1~kg})=2836~kJ kg^{-1}~(to~4~s.f.)##

Well, NOW after a little ##more## experimenting, it appears the fraction ##\frac {\Delta h} R## doesn't really change much between using these pairs of values. I don't know why. Using these new values however yields the answer: ##P_2=0.03809~kPa##, which I guess is a little closer. Is it wrong the way I did it before?

And I've just noticed my value for the enthalpy of sublimination is exactly the same as the one you've just stated.

Your latest comment I believe answers all my questions. In the tables, I'm given a value for the latent heat of fusion and vaporisation; summing these yields the latent heat of sublimination. I still think I'm missing something as the answers aren't ##exactly## the same, but I can refer to my lecturer for that. For the sake of completeness:

Enthalpy of vaporisation at ##0.01°C## is ##2500.9~kJ/kg##

Enthalpy of fusion for water is ##333.7~kJ/kg##

Enthalpy of sublimation: ##2500.9+333.7=2834.6~kJ/kg##

This value has been obtained using only what's given in the thermodynamic tables. Using this value for the enthalpy in the main equation gives a final answer of:

##P_2=0.03813~kPa##

Closest value yet, and I also believe this to be the most 'correct' answer as it's using only what's given.

Thank you for your help Chestermiller! Is there any way to mark questions as, 'solved'. I know there was before, though I can't seem to find how to do it anymore (if you still can).

After a little thinking, I believe I've made a mistake using the universal gas constant, ##8.31~J K^{-1}mol^{-1}##. I honestly don't know how I got the correct answer doing the calculation how I did. From the thermodynamic tables, the gas constant, ##R##, for steam, is ##0.4615~kJ kg^{-1} K^{-1}##. This means back in the equation, I no longer have to multiply by a thousand.

That's the gas constant sorted. Next, the enthalpy of sublimation:

##\Delta h_{sub}=51.1~\frac {kJ} {mol}(\frac {1~mol} {18.02~g})(\frac {1000~g} {1~kg})=2836~kJ kg^{-1}~(to~4~s.f.)##

Well, NOW after a little ##more## experimenting, it appears the fraction ##\frac {\Delta h} R## doesn't really change much between using these pairs of values. I don't know why. Using these new values however yields the answer: ##P_2=0.03809~kPa##, which I guess is a little closer. Is it wrong the way I did it before?

And I've just noticed my value for the enthalpy of sublimination is exactly the same as the one you've just stated.

Your latest comment I believe answers all my questions. In the tables, I'm given a value for the latent heat of fusion and vaporisation; summing these yields the latent heat of sublimination. I still think I'm missing something as the answers aren't ##exactly## the same, but I can refer to my lecturer for that. For the sake of completeness:

Enthalpy of vaporisation at ##0.01°C## is ##2500.9~kJ/kg##

Enthalpy of fusion for water is ##333.7~kJ/kg##

Enthalpy of sublimation: ##2500.9+333.7=2834.6~kJ/kg##

This value has been obtained using only what's given in the thermodynamic tables. Using this value for the enthalpy in the main equation gives a final answer of:

##P_2=0.03813~kPa##

Closest value yet, and I also believe this to be the most 'correct' answer as it's using only what's given.

Thank you for your help Chestermiller! Is there any way to mark questions as, 'solved'. I know there was before, though I can't seem to find how to do it anymore (if you still can).
You did it correctly. You just gotta make sure the units match and cancel properly.