Derivation of angular frequency of coupled Oscillator-vertical spring

The spring above it is pulling it upwards, right? So you need to add that in.Also, I would recommend labeling the springs and masses in your diagram with symbols like k_1, k_2, m_1, m_2, rather than labeling the forces. Then write out the forces in terms of those symbols rather than the letters A, B, etc. That way it'll be easier to keep track of what's what.Finally, I'm not sure what the hint about "a combination of 2 fundamental modes" is supposed to mean. I can see how that might work, but I don't think it's necessary here.
rshalloo

Homework Statement

I'm trying to derive an expression for the angular frequency of a set of springs hanging vertically down with masses in between them. 3 cases:
2 equal masses and springs.
2 different masses and equal springs
3 equal masses and springs

Homework Equations

ω0=√(k/m)
F= -kx

The Attempt at a Solution

i know its a combination of 2 fundamental modes
and that the answer I'm aiming for for the first case is (ω1^2)=((3+√5)/2)(ω0)^2 and (ω2^2)=((3-√5)/2)(ω0)^2
But i can't get there.
I did out a force diagram for the general case of 2 uneven masses and 2 springs which i hoped would do for case 1 and 2 (case1 just being a special case of case2) and came up with 2 equations of motion
ma1=-2kx1 +kx2 +(m1+m2)g
ma2=-kx2 +kx1 + m2g

I really don't know where to go from here, can someone please point me in the right direction. I am looking for someone to give me the derivation but you know that feeling when you hit a brick wall? you :P

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand the setup correctly. Are you saying you have 2 masses and 2 springs in the configuration (ceiling)-(spring1)-(mass1)-(spring2)-(mass2), such that the whole system is hanging vertically with mass 2 at the bottom? If that's the case, I don't think your equations are quite right.

In any case, once you get the equations, you can solve them by expressing them as a single differential equation for a 2-component vector. In other words, it goes into a form like this:
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}m_1 & 0 \\ 0 & m_2\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}\ddot{x}_1 \\ \ddot{x}_2\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}k_{11} & k_{12} \\ k_{21} & k_{22}\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x_1 \\ x_2\end{pmatrix} + \begin{pmatrix}C_1 \\ C_2\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
or in more compact notation,
[tex]\tilde{M}\ddot{\vec{x}} = \tilde{K}\vec{x} + \vec{C}[/tex]
and then you can find the normal modes and their frequencies by a procedure that basically boils down to computing the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of [itex]\tilde{M}^{-1}\tilde{K}[/itex].

Thanks Diazona, I've been at this all weekend but can't figure out where my equations are going wrong, could you possibly give me a hint or a worked example?

Thanks A million

Rob

I thought I gave you a hint - more than that, even, I told you how to solve the problem :wink: How about starting with the setup of your equations... what are the individual forces acting on each of the two masses? (If you can post a diagram of the configuration here that would be very helpful)

Heres my working out

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-10-16 at 19.15.13.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-16 at 19.15.13.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,094
Sorry for the delayed response, I was kind of busy. Thanks for posting the diagram though.

As far as setting up the diagram and equations, you just need to be consistent with the signs. That means once you've chosen a direction to be positive, make sure that [itex]x_1 > 0[/itex] actually does represent a displacement in that direction, and similarly for [itex]x_2[/itex] and the forces. (Technically, you don't need to do this, but it gets really confusing otherwise.)

I notice from your diagram that you're missing one force on the upper mass.

1. What is the formula for calculating the angular frequency of a coupled oscillator with a vertical spring?

The formula for calculating the angular frequency of a coupled oscillator with a vertical spring is ω = √(k/m), where ω represents the angular frequency, k represents the spring constant, and m represents the mass of the oscillator.

2. How is the angular frequency of a coupled oscillator with a vertical spring related to the spring constant?

The angular frequency is directly proportional to the square root of the spring constant. This means that as the spring constant increases, the angular frequency also increases, and vice versa.

3. Can the angular frequency of a coupled oscillator with a vertical spring be negative?

No, the angular frequency cannot be negative as it represents the rate of change of the oscillations and must always be positive.

4. What is the physical significance of the angular frequency in a coupled oscillator with a vertical spring?

The angular frequency represents the natural frequency of the coupled oscillator system. It determines the speed at which the system will oscillate when disturbed from its equilibrium position.

5. How does the mass of the oscillator affect the angular frequency in a coupled oscillator with a vertical spring?

The mass of the oscillator is inversely proportional to the angular frequency. This means that as the mass increases, the angular frequency decreases, and vice versa.