Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of Einstein Field Equations

1. Jan 24, 2013 #1
    I'm reading Spacetime and Geometry: An Introduction to General Relativity by Sean M. Carrol and in the chapter on gravitation, he derives the Einstein Field Equations. Here is the part I don't get. He starts with the equation [tex]R_{\mu\nu}-\frac{1}{2} Rg_{\mu\nu}=\kappa T_{\mu\nu}[/tex] Wher [itex]R_{\mu\nu}[/itex] is the Ricci tensor, [itex]\kappa[/itex] is some constant, and [itex]T_{\mu\nu}[/itex] is the stress-energy tensor. Then he sates that by contracting both sides it becomes,[tex]R=-\kappa T[/tex] where [itex]R=R_{\mu\nu}g^{\mu\nu}[/itex] and [itex]T=T_{\mu\nu}g^{\mu\nu}[/itex]. I don't see how he came to this answer. When I tried to work it out myself I got [tex]R=2\kappa T[/tex] This obviously isn't the right answer, and I can't see what I'm missing. I'm drawing a blank here.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2013 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex]g_{\mu\nu}g^{\mu\nu}=4[/tex]

4. Jan 24, 2013 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

[itex]g^{\mu \nu }R_{\mu \nu } - \frac{1}{2}Rg^{\mu \nu }g_{\mu \nu } = R - \frac{1}{2}R\delta ^{\mu }_{\mu } = R - 2R = - R = \kappa T [/itex]
    EDIT: robphy beat me to it =D

5. Jan 24, 2013 #4

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I made the same mistake as you the first time I did it. Although [itex]g^\mu_\nu[/itex] has diagonal *elements* that all equal 1, that doesn't mean you can replace it with 1 when you contract. It has four diagonal elements, so [itex]g^\mu_\mu=4[/itex].

6. Jan 24, 2013 #5
    Oh! It all makes sense now! I wish Carroll would've been a little more explicit in that step, it would've saved me a lot of confusion. Oh well. At least I get it now, thanks to all those who replied.

7. Jan 24, 2013 #6

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

In the future however, make sure you check his errata page because the book does have a ton of errata and in the event that he did make a typo, you don't want to rip your hair out when your result is correct but the thing in the book says something else.

8. Jan 24, 2013 #7
    Thanks I'll make sure to keep that in mind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook