1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of Fresnel equations / minus sign

1. Aug 6, 2015 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For an s-polarized wave (E and B fields are orthogonal to the plane of incidence) passing from medium to medium 2, I'm not understanding a minus sign.
    The matching conditions are ##\hat n \times (\vec E_2 - \vec E_1)=\vec 0## and ##\hat n \times (\vec H_2 - \vec H_1 )=\vec 0##, where ##\vec E_1 = \vec E_R + \vec E_I## and ##\vec E_2 = \vec E_T##. So far so good: the transmitted E field is equal to the incident one plus the reflected one, at the interface between the 2 media. The same applies for the H field.

2. Relevant equations
    Matching conditions.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The idea is that ##\vec E_I## is known and so the 2 matching conditions should allow us to solve for ##\vec E_R## and ##\vec E_T##. We know the relationship between H and E: ##Z_i\vec H_i = \hat k \times \vec E_i##, where Z is the impedance of the medium. So far so good.
    Soon comes the problem: using this last relation, I obtain that ##\hat k \times (\vec E_I + \vec E_R)Z_2=\hat k \times \vec E_T Z_1##. So that in terms of magnitude, ##(E_I -E_R)Z_2=E_TZ_1##. That's because ##\vec E_I## and ##\vec E_R## points in opposite directions.
    However if I use this same argument then the 1st matching condition becomes ##(E_I-E_R)=E_T## which is wrong. It should be ##(E_I+E_R)=E_T##. I don't understand why.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

Let's say you have an incident field in the x-y plane (transverse to z) defined by:
    ##\vec{E_I} = \hat z E_Ie^{-i(x\cos\theta + y \sin \theta) } ##
    And it reflects off an interface at y = 0.
    Then,
    ##\vec{E_R} = -\hat z E_Re^{-i(x\cos\theta - y \sin \theta) } ##
    Where ##E_R = \Gamma E_I## and ##\Gamma>0##.
    In this way, your exterior field has magnitude ##E_I - E_R## with fields defined by ##\vec{E_I}+\vec{E_R}##.

When you say "in terms of magnitude" you are implying that the scalar terms ##E_I, E_R## are both positive.
    When you use the vector notation, you can add opposing vectors, as in ##\vec{E_I}+\vec{E_R}##.

Does that address your question, or is there something I am missing?

4. Aug 6, 2015 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Hmm where the time dependence? Also let's keep it simple and let's consider normal incidence so that ##\theta=0##, cos theta becomes 1 and sin theta becomes 0.
    As you said, in region 1 the E field is worth ##E_I-E_R## in magnitude, while from a vector point of view we have that ##\vec E=\vec E_I + \vec E_R##.
    So then why the matching condion ##\hat n \times (\vec E_2 - \vec E_1) =\vec 0 \Rightarrow \vec E_2 = \vec E_1 \Rightarrow \vec E_T= \vec E_I + \vec E_R## simplifies as ##E_I+E_R=E_T## from a magnitude point of view instead of ##E_I-E_R=E_T##?

5. Aug 6, 2015 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

I have seen some notation that keeps the negative sign inside term ##E_R##, so that ##|E_R| = -E_R##.
    The important thing is that the energy in is equal to the energy out, so ##|\vec E_I| = |\vec E_R| + |\vec E_T| ##. As long as that requirement is satisfied, you can have faith in your notation.

6. Aug 6, 2015 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

I am still completly lost. The book (and everywhere else) get ##E_I+E_R=E_T## and ##Z_2(E_I-E_R)=Z_1E_T##.
    I don't understand how come there is a plus in one equation but a minus in the other one.

7. Aug 6, 2015 #6

RUber

Homework Helper

I did a little more digging and found a good reference:
    http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electric...ring-2011/lecture-notes/MIT6_007S11_lec29.pdf
    This shows that
    ##E_R = rE_I, \quad E_T = t E_I ##
    which allows for ##E_R## to be negative, so not "magnitude" per se.
    The second condition is derived from the H field, which in terms of the E field has a differential relationship, so the reflected field will have a negative sign in front of it.
    In normal incidence, time-harmonic, scenario:
    ##\vec E_I = \hat x E_I e^{ -i k_1z} ##
    ##\vec E_R = \hat x rE_I e^{ i k_1z} ##
    ##\vec E_T = \hat x tE_I e^{ -i k_2z} ##
    And ##\vec H = \frac{1}{\mu} \nabla \times \vec E = \text{sign}(i) \hat y \frac{E}{Z}e^{ -i kz} ##
    The continuity condition for the H field is:
    ##\hat n \times(\vec H_1 - \vec H_2 ) = 0## Which leads directly to the condition you refer to with ##Z_2 (E_I - E_R) = Z_1E_T.##

8. Aug 6, 2015 #7

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ok I get it. The thing is that for s-polarized waves, ##\vec E_I## and ##\vec E_R## (and ##\vec E_T## for that matter) have the same direction, while ##\vec H_I## and ##\vec H_R## don't. Hence the conditions ##E_I+E_R=E_T## and ##(E_I -E_R)Z_2=E_TZ_1## so I was wrong in my 1st post to say that ##\vec E_I## and ##\vec E_R## point in opposite directions.

9. Aug 6, 2015 #8

RUber

Homework Helper

Sorry I was on the wrong track at first. I was thrown off by the discussion of magnitude. Glad to get it squared away.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted