1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of non decaying mode in cosmology

1. Jul 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Derive the following result : [itex] \phi_k=-C_1(k)\frac{\dot{H}(t)}{H(t)} [/itex].

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\phi_k=C_1(k)\Bigg(1-\frac{H}{a}\int\limits^{t}a(t)dt\Bigg)[/itex]

[itex]a(t)= a(t_i)\exp\Bigg(H_i(t-t_i)+\dot{H}_i\frac{(t^2-t_i^2)}{2}\Bigg)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I stuck a(t) into [itex]\phi_k[/itex] and then expanded the exponential and integrated. Just ended up with a mess really.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I assume that ##\phi## is the metric perturbation and that you mean
    $$ \phi_k = - C_1(k) \frac{\dot{H}}{H^{2}}.$$
    Note the ##H^2## in the denominator.

If so, there is kind of a bizarre trick to use here. First, the fact that ##H = \dot{a}/a##, implies that
    $$ a dt =H^{-1} da .~~~(*)$$
    The idea then is to integrate by parts to show that
    $$ \int a dt = \int H^{-1} da = H^{-1} a- \int a~ d \left( H^{-1} \right).$$
    It seems weird, but this is formally ok to do. Now, we want to write
    $$ d \left( H^{-1} \right) = \frac{ d \left( H^{-1} \right)}{dt} dt $$
    and use (*) again to write the ##dt## integral as one over ##da##. Then it's one more integration by parts to get the term you want, plus another integral that you can see is small for ## \dot{H} \ll H^2##.

I had to give a lot of the problem away to explain the trick, but it's probably confusing enough that you still have a lot of work to do for it. I'll try to help with followup questions as needed.

4. Jul 23, 2015 #3

Hey,

Thank you so much for the help but to solve the problem I have to put a(t) into [itex]\phi_k[/itex] or have I missed something? I know that at some point I need to do an expansion in [itex]\frac{\dot{H_i}}{H^2_i}[/itex]

So following what you have said I have [itex]d(H^{-1})=\frac{d(H^{-1})}{dt}[/itex]

and [itex]dt=\frac{H^{-1}}{a}da\longrightarrow d(H^{-1})=\frac{d(H^{-1})}{dt}H^{-1}\frac{da}{a}[/itex] which looks hideous. Do I then stick this into the second term on the RHS of the integral? and then integrate by parts?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  5. Jul 23, 2015 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

With this method of doing the problem, we don't need to know anything special about ##a(t)## other than ## H = \dot{a}{a}##. So you don't need to use the expression for ##a## that you quoted.

Yes, integrate by parts
    $$\int u dv = uv - \int v du$$
    with ##u=(H^{-1}/a)( d(H^{-1})/dt)## and ##v=a##. The integrated part gives the expression that you were asked to show. The remaining integral is a mess of time derivatives that you should be able to argue is much smaller than the leading term.

6. Jul 23, 2015 #5
    Ahh thank you! Will have a work through it and see what happens.

7. Jul 23, 2015 #6
    Ok, so I've looked at it, and something doesn't seem quite right, I am integrating over da, and so if I set v=a, then dv=da but then what happens to my da and what happens to the second a in the integral?

8. Jul 23, 2015 #7

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You've got a stray ##1/a##, so let me back up a step to where we had
    $$ \int a~d\left(H^{-1}\right) = \int a~\frac{d\left(H^{-1}\right)}{dt} dt = \int \frac{d\left(H^{-1}\right)}{dt} H^{-1} da. $$
    We have to integrate this by parts, which gives
    $$ \int \frac{d\left(H^{-1}\right)}{dt} H^{-1} da = \frac{d\left(H^{-1}\right)}{dt} H^{-1} a- \int a ~d\left( \frac{d\left(H^{-1}\right)}{dt} H^{-1} \right) .$$
    The integrand on the RHS should be thought of as ## d(\cdots) = [ d(\cdots)/dt] dt##.

9. Jul 23, 2015 #8
    So I have now

[itex]\int \frac{d\left(H^{-1}\right)}{dt} H^{-1} da = \frac{d\left(H^{-1}\right)}{dt} H^{-1} a- \int a ~\frac{d}{dt}\left( \frac{d\left(H^{-1}\right)}{dt} H^{-1} \right)dt [/itex]

And I want to integrate the integral on the RHS by parts. To do this, I (assume)
    [itex]dv=a[/itex] and

[itex]u=\frac{d}{dt}\Bigg(\frac{d(H^{-1})}{dt}H^{-1}\Bigg)[/itex]

10. Jul 23, 2015 #9

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Whenever you have ##a dt## you want to rewrite it as ##H^{-1} da##. If you keep integrating by parts you get a series with terms like
    $$\left( H^{-1} \frac{d}{dt} \right)^n H^{-1}.$$
    This series is what you want to truncate to the first term.

11. Jul 25, 2015 #10
    Thank you so much, after doing the integrals about 4 times to see the series appear, I was able to see what I wanted. Thank you so much for your help and patience.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted