Derivation of Phi-Hat wrt Phi in Spherical Unit Vectors

In summary: Thank you for your help.In summary, the student was unable to solve for the equation for the given problem. However, by using a backwards derivation, they were able to find the answer.
EarthDecon

Homework Statement

I just want to know how to get from this: ∂ø^/∂ø = -x^cosø - y^sinø
to this: = -(r^sinθ+θ^cosθ)

Homework Equations

All the equations found here in the Spherical Coordinates section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_vector

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a bunch of ways of algebraically getting the answer but I seem to be getting nowhere. Maybe I'm missing an equation. I tried adding and subtracting z^cosθ to get -r^ but I'm still missing the other piece. Please help! Thanks so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried going the other way? It is easier (at least more natural) to prove that statement that way, inserting the formulas for [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\theta}[/itex].

I have not, however, it seems like such a process would be much too long. If someone asked you to solve this for a test, how would one solve this without taking so long to do this? To be fair, if each unit vector derivation (d[itex]\hat{r}[/itex]/dt and d[itex]\hat{θ}[/itex]/dt) was incredibly short, why would this one partial derivative take 30 mins to do (if it does so)? I'll try, but I'd like to start from beginning to end to properly understand the process. I appreciate the reply though, thank you.

EarthDecon said:
I have not, however, it seems like such a process would be much too long. If someone asked you to solve this for a test, how would one solve this without taking so long to do this? To be fair, if each unit vector derivation (d[itex]\hat{r}[/itex]/dt and d[itex]\hat{θ}[/itex]/dt) was incredibly short, why would this one partial derivative take 30 mins to do (if it does so)? I'll try, but I'd like to start from beginning to end to properly understand the process. I appreciate the reply though, thank you.

On a test, I'd probably use a geometrical method - essentially drawing and trying to see how each unit axis would change. This particular derivative is probably the trickiest one even using that method though.

However, you wanted an algebraic method. In one direction it looks like a trick to me, in the other way it comes out quite naturally (and that substitution doesn't take very long at all).

Oh yes. You were right. I tried the derivation backwards and it only took about half a page. However I probably would never have thought about it, but there is a trick. The trick is to place (sin2θ + cos2θ) multiplying the cosø and the sinø in the equation. Once that's done you distribute out the sinθ in the x-hat and the cosθ in the y-hat and the negative one. Then add and subtract z-hat cosθsinθ and group it so that you get r-hat on one side and phi-hat on the other and you should get the answer.

1. What is the equation for deriving Phi-Hat with respect to Phi in spherical unit vectors?

The equation is:
Phi-Hat = (-sin(Phi), cos(Phi), 0)

2. How is this equation derived?

This equation is derived by taking the partial derivative of the unit vector Phi-Hat with respect to the angle Phi in spherical coordinates.

3. What is the significance of Phi-Hat in spherical unit vectors?

Phi-Hat is a unit vector that represents the direction of increasing Phi angle in spherical coordinates. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the orientation of objects in 3D space.

4. Can this equation be applied to other coordinate systems?

Yes, this equation can be applied to other coordinate systems with minor modifications. The general concept of deriving a unit vector with respect to a specific angle remains the same.

5. How is Phi-Hat used in practical applications?

Phi-Hat can be used in a variety of practical applications, such as in navigation and robotics, to determine the orientation of an object in 3D space. It can also be used in mathematical calculations involving spherical coordinates.