1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Express wave function in spherical harmonics

1. Jan 27, 2014 #1
    1. Problem:
    I have a wave function ψ(r) = (x + y + z)*f(r) and want to find the expectation values of L2 and Lz. It is suggested that I first change the wave function to spherical coordinates, then put that in terms of spherical harmonics of the form Yl,m.

2. Relevant equations:
    Spherical harmonics and conversions from Cartesian to spherical coordinates

3. Attempt at solution:
    So I know how to express the wave function in spherical coordinates (which should be ψ(r) = r*f(r)*(sinΘcosø + sinΘsinø + cosΘ). I am having a hard time going from this to spherical harmonics though (I am sort of new to this). I can see from a table of spherical harmonics that Y1,0 does have a cosΘ, but how would I get the terms that have Θ and ø? (I can see that there are some spherical harmonics that have e, but this would give me cosø + isinø, so it doesn't look like that would get me what I want.)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2014 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

Hi z2394,
    The wavefunction can be written rf(r)sinθ[cosø + sinø] + rf(r)cosθ. As you said, the second term here can be written in terms of a single spherical harmonic. To get the first term as a linear combination of spherical harmonics, try expressing cosø and sinø in their complex exponential forms.

4. Jan 28, 2014 #3
    So I see how to do that now, and I get ψ(r) = r*f(r)*([itex]\sqrt{2{\pi}/3}([/itex]-Y1,1+Y1,-1) - (1/i)[itex]\sqrt{2{\pi}/3}[/itex](Y1,1 + Y1,-1) + [itex]\sqrt{4{\pi}/3}[/itex]Y1,0). But now how do I use this to get <L2> and <Lz>? I know to do <ψ| L2 |ψ> and <ψ| Lz |ψ>, but does L2 acting on ψ here still give me the l(l+1)h2 eigenvalue, and Lz the mh eigenvalue, (where h is actually the reduced Planck constant), when acting on this ψ?

5. Jan 29, 2014 #4

CAF123

Gold Member

When L2 and Lz act on the spherical harmonics, then the eigenvalue returned is l(l+1)h2 and mh respectively. First though, you will need to normalize ψ. Introduce some normalization constant, say A, and solve for A using the fact that the spherical harmonics are a complete set of orthonormal functions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted