Derivation of Schrodinger's equation in momentum space

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical problem involving the transformation from (3.171) to (3.172). The author has left out steps and it is unclear why (3) or (4) is true. The conversation also discusses the use of p as an operator in momentum space and how it changes to being a constant in configuration space. The correct approach involves substituting ##\Psi(r,t)## in terms of ##\Phi(p',t)##, grouping the exponential terms, and performing the r integration.
Happiness

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 4.39.10 pm.png

How do you get from (3.171) to (3.172)? In particular, why is

##\int e^{-ip.r/{\hbar}}\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}\Psi(r,t)\,dr=\int\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}[e^{-ip.r/{\hbar}}\Psi(r,t)]\,dr##? ##\,\,\,\,\,##-- (1)

Homework Equations

Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 4.39.54 pm.png

Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 4.40.19 pm.png

The Attempt at a Solution

For (1) to be true, it must be true that
##\int\frac{\partial ^2}{\partial x^2}[e^{-ip.x/{\hbar}}\Psi(r,t)]\,dr=\int e^{-ip.x/{\hbar}}\frac{\partial ^2}{\partial x^2}\Psi(r,t)\,dr##. ##\,\,\,\,\,##-- (2)

Using integration by parts and the fact that ##\Psi(r,t)=0## at infinity, I am able to show that (2) is true provided

##\int\frac{-ip}{\hbar}e^{-ipx/\hbar}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\Psi(r,t)\,dr=0## ##\,\,\,\,\,##-- (3) or

##\int\Psi(r,t)\,(\frac{-ip}{\hbar})^2e^{-ipx/\hbar}\,dr=0##.##\,\,\,\,\,##-- (4)

But I don't know how (3) or (4) is true?

Physics news on Phys.org
The author has left out steps leading to (3.171). The way it is written there, p is already an operator in momentum space, meaning that it is a simple multiplication.

Edit: Maybe it is not missing steps, but the author has taken the problem backward. I would start with the Schrödinger equation for ##\Psi(\mathbf{r},t)##, write ##\Psi(\mathbf{r},t)## in terms of ##\Phi(\mathbf{p},t)##, and get the Schrödinger equation for ##\Phi(\mathbf{p},t)##.

Likes Happiness
DrClaude said:
The author has left out steps leading to (3.171). The way it is written there, p is already an operator in momentum space, meaning that it is a simple multiplication.

Edit: Maybe it is not missing steps, but the author has taken the problem backward. I would start with the Schrödinger equation for ##\Psi(\mathbf{r},t)##, write ##\Psi(\mathbf{r},t)## in terms of ##\Phi(\mathbf{p},t)##, and get the Schrödinger equation for ##\Phi(\mathbf{p},t)##.

Since the integration in (3.171) is done with respect to r, shouldn't p still be an operator in configuration space?

How I see the steps leading to (3.171) is as follows:

Since ##\Psi(r,t)## satisfies the Schrodinger equation, any linear combination of ##\Psi##'s satisfies the Schrodinger equation too by the principle of superposition (or by the linearity of the operators in the Schrodinger equation).

Oh I got it now. The author used

##H\Psi(r,t)=E\Psi(r,t)=[\frac{p^2}{2m}+V(r,t)]\Psi(r,t)##.

So the p##^2## in (3.171) is a constant and not an operator.

Happiness said:
Oh I got it now. The author used

##H\Psi(r,t)=E\Psi(r,t)=[\frac{p^2}{2m}+V(r,t)]\Psi(r,t)##.

So the p##^2## in (3.171) is a constant and not an operator.
In the equation you wrote, p2 has got to be an operator. It is in momentum space that it is a number.

I'm still trying to figure how to best approach the way it is presented in your book.

Likes Happiness
I think I got it.

##(2\pi\hbar)^{-3/2}\int e^{-ip.r/\hbar}\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}\Psi(r,t)\,dr\\##

first substitute ##\Psi(r,t)## in terms of ##\Phi(p',t)##
##=(2\pi\hbar)^{-3/2}\int e^{-ip.r/\hbar}\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}(2\pi\hbar)^{-3/2}\int e^{ip'.r/\hbar}\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\,dr\\##

then group the exponential terms together
##=\int\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}(2\pi\hbar)^{-3}\int e^{i(p'-p).r/\hbar}\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\,dr\\##

since ##p_{op}## and the r integration commute, we have
##=\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}\int(2\pi\hbar)^{-3}\int e^{i(p'-p).r/\hbar}\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\,dr\\##

since the r integration and the p' integration commute, we have
##=\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}\int(2\pi\hbar)^{-3}\int e^{i(p'-p).r/\hbar}\,dr\,\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\\##

next perform the r integration
##=\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}\int\delta(p'-p)\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\\
=\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}\Phi(p,t)\\
##

Last edited:
I still have one unresolved question:

How does ##p_{op}^2## change from being ##-\hbar^2\nabla^2## to being ##p^2##, where ##p## is a number? At which step does it occur and why?

Happiness said:
I think I got it.

##=(2\pi\hbar)^{-3/2}\int e^{-ip.r/\hbar}\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}(2\pi\hbar)^{-3/2}\int e^{ip'.r/\hbar}\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\,dr\\##

then group the exponential terms together
##=\int\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}(2\pi\hbar)^{-3}\int e^{i(p'-p).r/\hbar}\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\,dr\\##

since ##p_{op}## and the r integration commute, we have
##=\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}\int(2\pi\hbar)^{-3}\int e^{i(p'-p).r/\hbar}\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\,dr\\##

You cannot pull ##p_{or}^2## outside of the integral over r, since it is acting on that variable! You must apply it to the exponential and therefore it will generate a factor ##p^2## where now p is the variable, not an operator.

Likes Happiness
I see the mistake.

then group the exponential terms together (This step is wrong because ##p_{op}^2## is acting on ##r## but the exponential term has ##r## so they don't commute.)

instead it should be
##=(2\pi\hbar)^{-3/2}\int e^{-ip.r/\hbar}(2\pi\hbar)^{-3/2}\int\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}e^{ip'.r/\hbar}\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\,dr\\##
##=(2\pi\hbar)^{-3/2}\int e^{-ip.r/\hbar}(2\pi\hbar)^{-3/2}\int\frac{p'^2}{2m}e^{ip'.r/\hbar}\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\,dr\\##

##=\int\frac{p'^2}{2m}(2\pi\hbar)^{-3}\int e^{i(p'-p).r/\hbar}\,dr\,\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\\##

##=\int\frac{p'^2}{2m}\delta(p'-p)\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\\
=\frac{p^2}{2m}\Phi(p,t)\\
##

Happiness said:
I see the mistake.

then group the exponential terms together (This step is wrong because ##p_{op}^2## is acting on ##r## but the exponential term has ##r## so they don't commute.)

instead it should be
##=(2\pi\hbar)^{-3/2}\int e^{-ip.r/\hbar}(2\pi\hbar)^{-3/2}\int\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}e^{ip'.r/\hbar}\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\,dr\\##
##=(2\pi\hbar)^{-3/2}\int e^{-ip.r/\hbar}(2\pi\hbar)^{-3/2}\int\frac{p'^2}{2m}e^{ip'.r/\hbar}\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\,dr\\##

##=\int\frac{p'^2}{2m}(2\pi\hbar)^{-3}\int e^{i(p'-p).r/\hbar}\,dr\,\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\\##

##=\int\frac{p'^2}{2m}\delta(p'-p)\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\\
=\frac{p^2}{2m}\Phi(p,t)\\
##
Perfect!

Hey I was wondering what textbook you were using for this question:And for the final solution, I had a convolution in there for the last integral in (3.172): V(p) * Psi(p,t)?

Cheers

rdhill13 said:
Hey I was wondering what textbook you were using for this question:And for the final solution, I had a convolution in there for the last integral in (3.172): V(p) * Psi(p,t)?

Cheers

The thread is four years old!

1. What is the Schrodinger's equation in momentum space?

The Schrodinger's equation in momentum space is a mathematical representation of the wave function of a quantum mechanical system. It describes how the wave function changes over time and space, and is an essential tool for understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. Why is the momentum space representation of the Schrodinger's equation important?

The momentum space representation of the Schrodinger's equation allows us to study the behavior of particles at the quantum level in terms of their momentum, rather than their position. This can provide insights into the behavior of particles that cannot be obtained from the position space representation alone.

3. How is the Schrodinger's equation derived in momentum space?

The Schrodinger's equation in momentum space can be derived by applying the Fourier transform to the Schrodinger's equation in position space. This transforms the wave function from its position representation to its momentum representation.

4. What is the role of the Hamiltonian in the Schrodinger's equation in momentum space?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator that represents the total energy of a system. In the Schrodinger's equation in momentum space, the Hamiltonian is used to describe the energy of a particle in terms of its momentum.

5. How does the Schrodinger's equation in momentum space relate to the uncertainty principle?

The Schrodinger's equation in momentum space is closely related to the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the momentum of a particle, the less precisely we can know its position, and vice versa. This is because the Fourier transform used to derive the equation involves a trade-off between precision in momentum and position measurements.