1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of Schrodinger's equation in momentum space

1. Dec 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 4.39.10 pm.png
    How do you get from (3.171) to (3.172)? In particular, why is

##\int e^{-ip.r/{\hbar}}\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}\Psi(r,t)\,dr=\int\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}[e^{-ip.r/{\hbar}}\Psi(r,t)]\,dr##? ##\,\,\,\,\,##-- (1)

2. Relevant equations
    Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 4.39.54 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 4.40.19 pm.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    For (1) to be true, it must be true that
    ##\int\frac{\partial ^2}{\partial x^2}[e^{-ip.x/{\hbar}}\Psi(r,t)]\,dr=\int e^{-ip.x/{\hbar}}\frac{\partial ^2}{\partial x^2}\Psi(r,t)\,dr##. ##\,\,\,\,\,##-- (2)

Using integration by parts and the fact that ##\Psi(r,t)=0## at infinity, I am able to show that (2) is true provided

##\int\frac{-ip}{\hbar}e^{-ipx/\hbar}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\Psi(r,t)\,dr=0## ##\,\,\,\,\,##-- (3) or

##\int\Psi(r,t)\,(\frac{-ip}{\hbar})^2e^{-ipx/\hbar}\,dr=0##.##\,\,\,\,\,##-- (4)

But I don't know how (3) or (4) is true?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

The author has left out steps leading to (3.171). The way it is written there, p is already an operator in momentum space, meaning that it is a simple multiplication.

Edit: Maybe it is not missing steps, but the author has taken the problem backward. I would start with the Schrödinger equation for ##\Psi(\mathbf{r},t)##, write ##\Psi(\mathbf{r},t)## in terms of ##\Phi(\mathbf{p},t)##, and get the Schrödinger equation for ##\Phi(\mathbf{p},t)##.

4. Dec 4, 2015 #3
    Since the integration in (3.171) is done with respect to r, shouldn't p still be an operator in configuration space?

How I see the steps leading to (3.171) is as follows:

Since ##\Psi(r,t)## satisfies the Schrodinger equation, any linear combination of ##\Psi##'s satisfies the Schrodinger equation too by the principle of superposition (or by the linearity of the operators in the Schrodinger equation).

5. Dec 4, 2015 #4
    Oh I got it now. The author used

##H\Psi(r,t)=E\Psi(r,t)=[\frac{p^2}{2m}+V(r,t)]\Psi(r,t)##.

So the p##^2## in (3.171) is a constant and not an operator.

6. Dec 4, 2015 #5

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

In the equation you wrote, p2 has got to be an operator. It is in momentum space that it is a number.

I'm still trying to figure how to best approach the way it is presented in your book.

7. Dec 4, 2015 #6
    I think I got it.

##(2\pi\hbar)^{-3/2}\int e^{-ip.r/\hbar}\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}\Psi(r,t)\,dr\\##

first substitute ##\Psi(r,t)## in terms of ##\Phi(p',t)##
    ##=(2\pi\hbar)^{-3/2}\int e^{-ip.r/\hbar}\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}(2\pi\hbar)^{-3/2}\int e^{ip'.r/\hbar}\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\,dr\\##

then group the exponential terms together
    ##=\int\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}(2\pi\hbar)^{-3}\int e^{i(p'-p).r/\hbar}\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\,dr\\##

since ##p_{op}## and the r integration commute, we have
    ##=\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}\int(2\pi\hbar)^{-3}\int e^{i(p'-p).r/\hbar}\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\,dr\\##

since the r integration and the p' integration commute, we have
    ##=\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}\int(2\pi\hbar)^{-3}\int e^{i(p'-p).r/\hbar}\,dr\,\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\\##

next perform the r integration
    ##=\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}\int\delta(p'-p)\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\\
    =\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}\Phi(p,t)\\
    ##

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  8. Dec 4, 2015 #7
    I still have one unresolved question:

How does ##p_{op}^2## change from being ##-\hbar^2\nabla^2## to being ##p^2##, where ##p## is a number? At which step does it occur and why?

9. Dec 4, 2015 #8

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You cannot pull ##p_{or}^2## outside of the integral over r, since it is acting on that variable! You must apply it to the exponential and therefore it will generate a factor ##p^2## where now p is the variable, not an operator.

10. Dec 5, 2015 #9
    I see the mistake.

##(2\pi\hbar)^{-3/2}\int e^{-ip.r/\hbar}\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}\Psi(r,t)\,dr\\##

first substitute ##\Psi(r,t)## in terms of ##\Phi(p',t)##
    ##=(2\pi\hbar)^{-3/2}\int e^{-ip.r/\hbar}\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}(2\pi\hbar)^{-3/2}\int e^{ip'.r/\hbar}\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\,dr\\##

then group the exponential terms together (This step is wrong because ##p_{op}^2## is acting on ##r## but the exponential term has ##r## so they don't commute.)
    ##=\int\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}(2\pi\hbar)^{-3}\int e^{i(p'-p).r/\hbar}\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\,dr\\##

instead it should be
    ##=(2\pi\hbar)^{-3/2}\int e^{-ip.r/\hbar}(2\pi\hbar)^{-3/2}\int\frac{p_{op}^2}{2m}e^{ip'.r/\hbar}\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\,dr\\##
    ##=(2\pi\hbar)^{-3/2}\int e^{-ip.r/\hbar}(2\pi\hbar)^{-3/2}\int\frac{p'^2}{2m}e^{ip'.r/\hbar}\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\,dr\\##

since the r integration and the p' integration commute, we have
    ##=\int\frac{p'^2}{2m}(2\pi\hbar)^{-3}\int e^{i(p'-p).r/\hbar}\,dr\,\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\\##

next perform the r integration
    ##=\int\frac{p'^2}{2m}\delta(p'-p)\Phi(p',t)\,dp'\\
    =\frac{p^2}{2m}\Phi(p,t)\\
    ##

11. Dec 5, 2015 #10

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perfect!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted