1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of the momentum-to-the-power-of-n operator

1. Dec 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 11.47.41 pm.png

2. Relevant equations
    Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 11.48.08 pm.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    First substitute ##\Phi(p,t)## in terms of ##\Psi(r,t)## and similarly for ##\Phi^*(p,t)##, and substitute ##p_x^n## in terms of the differentiation operator
    ##< p_x^n>\,=(2\pi\hbar)^{-3}\int\int e^{ip.r'/\hbar}\Psi^*(r',t)\,dr'\int(i\hbar)^n(\frac{\partial^n}{\partial x^n}e^{-ip.r/\hbar})\Psi(r,t)\,dr\,dp##

Then integrate by parts with respect to ##x##. The integrated part vanishes since ##\Psi(r,t)## equals to 0 at infinity. We have
    ##=(2\pi\hbar)^{-3}\int\int e^{ip.r'/\hbar}\Psi^*(r',t)\,dr'\int(i\hbar)^{n-1}(\frac{\partial^{n-1}}{\partial x^{n-1}}e^{-ip.r/\hbar})\Big[-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\Psi(r,t)\Big]\,dr\,dp##

Then I'm stuck because it seems like we need to integrate by parts with respect to ##x## again for another ##(n-1)## times in order to get
    ##=(2\pi\hbar)^{-3}\int\int e^{ip.r'/\hbar}\Psi^*(r',t)\,dr'\int e^{-ip.r/\hbar}\Big[(-i\hbar)^n\frac{\partial^n}{\partial x^n}\Psi(r,t)\Big]\,dr\,dp##.

But now the integrated part no longer vanishes since ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\Psi(r,t)## and higher derivatives may not be 0 at infinity. So we can't get the above that we need.

The proof for the case of ##< p_x>## is attached below for reference.
    Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 11.51.11 pm.png

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2015 #2
    Oh I think I got it. It seems like we have to assume the derivatives of a wave function are all 0 at infinity.

4. Dec 5, 2015 #3

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right. And it is natural. I, for one, cannot imagine a continuous function who would go to zero at infinity but whose derivative would not. If someone has such an example, I would love to see it!

5. Dec 5, 2015 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted