Derivation of Taylor Series in R^n

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
mastrofoffi
Messages
48
Reaction score
12
I was studying the derivation for taylor series in ℝ##^n## on my book and I have some trouble understanding a passage; it's the very beginning actually:

##f : A## ⊆ ℝ##^n## → ℝ
##f ## ∈ ##C^2(A)##
##x_0## ∈ ##A##

"be ##g_{(t)} = f_{(x_0 + vt)}## where v is a generic versor, then we have:
##g_{(t)} = g_{(0)} + g'_{(0)}t + \frac{1}{2}g''_{(\tau)}t^2## where ##\tau ∈ [0, t]##"

I don't understand why is it ok to do taylor expansion centered in t=0 and then use ##g''_{(\tau)}## instead of ##g''_{(0)}##?
I'm actually fine with the rest of the demonstration which is quite easy but I'd like to understand what he's doing here; I was pretty sure it could be something coming from Lagrange's theorem(he uses it everywhere) but I can't really see it here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mastrofoffi said:
I was studying the derivation for taylor series in ℝ##^n## on my book and I have some trouble understanding a passage; it's the very beginning actually:

##f : A## ⊆ ℝ##^n## → ℝ
##f ## ∈ ##C^2(A)##
##x_0## ∈ ##A##

"be ##g_{(t)} = f_{(x_0 + vt)}## where v is a generic versor, then we have:
##g_{(t)} = g_{(0)} + g'_{(0)}t + \frac{1}{2}g''_{(\tau)}t^2## where ##\tau ∈ [0, t]##"

I don't understand why is it ok to do taylor expansion centered in t=0 and then use ##g''_{(\tau)}## instead of ##g''_{(0)}##?
I'm actually fine with the rest of the demonstration which is quite easy but I'd like to understand what he's doing here; I was pretty sure it could be something coming from Lagrange's theorem(he uses it everywhere) but I can't really see it here.

The Taylor expansion of first order with remainder for a univariate function is
$$g(t) = g(0) + t g'(0) + \frac{t^2}{2!} g''(\tau),$$
where ##\tau## is a value between ##0## and ##t##.

In general, if ##g \in C^{n+1}## we have
$$g(t) = g(0) + t g'(0) + \frac{t^2}{2!} g''(0) + \cdots + \frac{t^n}{n!} g^{(n)}(0) + \frac{t^{n+1}}{(n+1)!} g^{(n+1)}(\tau).$$

See your textbook, or look on-line for "Taylor series with remainder".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: mastrofoffi
Oh, so it is the remainder in lagrange form for the 1st order expansion.
Its so obvious now that i see it! I can't believe i got stuck on this ahah thank you ^^