1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of Taylor Series in R^n

1. Oct 25, 2016 #1
    I was studying the derivation for taylor series in ℝ##^n## on my book and I have some trouble understanding a passage; it's the very beginning actually:

##f : A## ⊆ ℝ##^n## → ℝ
    ##f ## ∈ ##C^2(A)##
    ##x_0## ∈ ##A##

"be ##g_{(t)} = f_{(x_0 + vt)}## where v is a generic versor, then we have:
    ##g_{(t)} = g_{(0)} + g'_{(0)}t + \frac{1}{2}g''_{(\tau)}t^2## where ##\tau ∈ [0, t]##"

I don't understand why is it ok to do taylor expansion centered in t=0 and then use ##g''_{(\tau)}## instead of ##g''_{(0)}##?
    I'm actually fine with the rest of the demonstration which is quite easy but I'd like to understand what he's doing here; I was pretty sure it could be something coming from Lagrange's theorem(he uses it everywhere) but I can't really see it here.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The Taylor expansion of first order with remainder for a univariate function is
    $$g(t) = g(0) + t g'(0) + \frac{t^2}{2!} g''(\tau),$$
    where ##\tau## is a value between ##0## and ##t##.

In general, if ##g \in C^{n+1}## we have
    $$g(t) = g(0) + t g'(0) + \frac{t^2}{2!} g''(0) + \cdots + \frac{t^n}{n!} g^{(n)}(0) + \frac{t^{n+1}}{(n+1)!} g^{(n+1)}(\tau).$$

See your textbook, or look on-line for "Taylor series with remainder".

4. Oct 25, 2016 #3
    Oh, so it is the remainder in lagrange form for the 1st order expansion.
    Its so obvious now that i see it! I cant believe i got stuck on this ahah thank you ^^

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted