Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of the value of christoffel symbol

1. Apr 19, 2012 #1
    Hi,
    I am new to general relativity and as I would like to find out how we could derive the value of christoffel symbol in terms of the metric tensor.
    I have also heard that it was given as a definition for the christoffel symbol and would like a clarification on that.

Regards
    Bltzmn2012

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2012 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

4. Apr 19, 2012 #3
    By permuting the indices, and resumming, one can solve explicitly for the Christoffel symbols as a function of the metric tensor:

I didnt quite get that(although I was given the formula underneath).could you please explain what is permuting the indices. I am really new to this stuff.

Regards
    Bltzmnn2012

5. Apr 19, 2012 #4
    [tex]\Gamma^\rho_{~\mu \nu}=\frac{1}{2} g^{\rho \lambda} (\partial_\mu g_{\nu \lambda}+\partial_\nu g_{\mu \lambda}-\partial_\lambda g_{\mu \nu})[/tex]

It's relatively straightforward to calculate the components of the Christoffel symbols from the components of the metric. It can get pretty tedious though.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  6. Apr 19, 2012 #5

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes - a few comments on notation for the OP
    [tex]\partial_\mu = \frac{\partial}{\partial_\mu}[/tex]

Summation over lambda is implied by the Einstein convention, (which is that you sum over repeated indices), i.e: [correction to index]

[tex]\Gamma^\rho_{~\mu \nu}=\sum_{\lambda=0}^{\lambda=3} \frac{1}{2} g^{\rho \lambda} (\partial_\mu g_{\nu \lambda}+\partial_\nu g_{\mu \lambda}-\partial_\lambda g_{\mu \nu})[/tex]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  7. Apr 19, 2012 #6

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

The sum should extend from 0-3, not 0-4 :)

8. Apr 19, 2012 #7

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ooops - yes, good point, space-time has 4 dimensions, not 5. I corrected the original, for whatever it's worth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook