1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of the velocity of an expectation value

1. May 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to derive for myself the velocity of the expectation value from the information given, specifically that

[tex]<x> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x|\Psi (x,t)|^2 dt[/tex] (1)

Eq (1) can be transformed into,

[tex]\frac{d<x>}{dt} = -\frac{i\hbar}{m}\int\Psi^*\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}dx[/tex] (2)

I couldn't come up with Eq. (2). Below is my work.

2. Relevant Equations.

Schr[tex]\ddot{o}[/tex]dinger Equation
    [tex]i\hbar\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial t}=-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2\Psi}{\partial x^2}+V\Psi[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Taking the derivative of both sides of Eq. (1) results in,

[tex] \frac{d<x>}{dt} = \int x\frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\Psi|^2 dx[/tex] (3)

As [tex]\Psi^2 = \Psi^*\Psi[/tex] taking the derivative of the r.h.s of Eq.(3) results in,

[tex]\int x\left(\Psi^*\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial t}+\Psi\frac{\partial\Psi^*}{\partial t}\right)[/tex] (4)

Manipulating the Schr[tex]\ddot{o}[/tex]dinger Equation to get [tex]\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial T}[/tex]

[tex]-\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial t} = \frac{\hbar}{2im}{\partial^2\Psi}{\partial x^2}-\frac{V\Psi}{i\hbar}[/tex] (5)

Multiplying both sides of Eq. (5) by [tex]i^2[/tex],

[tex]\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial t} = \frac{i\hbar}{2m}\frac{\partial^2\Psi}{\partial x^2}-\frac{iV\Psi}{\hbar}[/tex] (6)

Taking the complex conjugate of Eq. (6),

[tex]\frac{\partial\Psi^*}{\partial t} = -\frac{i\hbar}{2m}\frac{\partial^2\Psi^*}{\partial x^2}+\frac{iV\Psi^*}{\hbar}[/tex](7)

Substituting Eq. (6) & (7) into Eq. (4) results in,

[tex]=\Psi^*\frac{i\hbar}{2m}\frac{\partial^2\Psi}{\partial x^2}-V\frac{i\Psi^*\Psi}{\hbar}-\Psi\frac{i\hbar}{2m}\frac{\partial^2\Psi^*}{\partial x^2}+V\frac{i\Psi^*\Psi}{\hbar}[/tex]

[tex]=\Psi^*\frac{i\hbar}{2m}\frac{\partial^2\Psi}{\partial x^2}-\Psi\frac{i\hbar}{2m}\frac{\partial^2\Psi^*}{\partial x^2}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{i\hbar}{2m}\left(\Psi^*\frac{\partial^2\Psi}{\partial x^2}-\Psi\frac{\partial^2\Psi^*}{\partial x^2}\right)[/tex](8)

Eq. (8) is equivalent to,

[tex]\frac{i\hbar}{2m}\left[\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\Psi^*\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}-\Psi\frac{\partial\Psi^*}{\partial x}\right)\right][/tex](9)

(The inside can be confirmed just by taking the derivative, which I'm going to leave out for brevities sake)

So, the velocity of the expectation value now becomes,

[tex]\frac{d<x>}{dt} = \frac{i\hbar}{2m}\int x\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\Psi^*\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}-\Psi\frac{\partial\Psi^*}{\partial x}\right)dx[/tex](10)

Taking the constant out I solved the integrand by using integration by parts.

Let [tex]u=x[/tex]
    [tex]dv=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\Psi^*\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}-\Psi\frac{\partial\Psi^*}{\partial x}\right)dx.[/tex]

Then, [tex]du=dx[/tex]
    [tex]v=\left(\Psi^*\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}-\Psi\frac{\partial\Psi^*}{\partial x}\right)[/tex]

Substituting this into [tex]\int udv = \int uv-\int vdu[/tex]

[tex]x\left(\Psi^*\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}-\Psi\frac{\partial\Psi^*}{\partial x}\right)\bigg|_{\infty}^{\infty}-\int \left(\Psi^*\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}-\Psi\frac{\partial\Psi^*}{\partial x}\right)dx[/tex] (11)

Before the integral that term goes to 0 because (as I'm told, I don't actually know how to prove this) [tex]\Psi[/tex] goes to zero must quicker then x goes to infinity. So the velocity becomes,

[tex]\frac{d<x>}{dt} = -\frac{i\hbar}{2m}\int \left(\Psi^*\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}-\Psi\frac{\partial\Psi^*}{\partial x}\right)dx[/tex](12)

I transformed,

[tex]\Psi\frac{\partial\Psi^*}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial\Psi^*\Psi}{\partial x}-\Psi^*\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}[/tex](13)

Substituting Eq (13) into Eq (12),

[tex]\frac{d<x>}{dt} = -\frac{i\hbar}{2m}\int \left(\Psi^*\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial\Psi^*\Psi}{\partial x}+\Psi^*\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}\right)dx[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{d<x>}{dt} = -\frac{i\hbar}{2m}\int \left(2\Psi^*\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial\Psi^*\Psi}{\partial x}\right)dx[/tex](14)

Eq.(14) Becomes

[tex]\frac{d<x>}{dt} = -\frac{i\hbar}{m}\int \Psi^*\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}dx+\frac{i\hbar}{2m}\int\frac{\partial\Psi^*\Psi}{\partial x}dx[/tex](15)

The left part of the r.h.s. of Eq.(15) is what I want but I don't know how to eliminate the right portion of it.

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2010 #2
    Eqn. (15) Looks incorrect. You should only have the first term on the rhs.

Of course, the second term is an integral of a derivative of [itex] |\Psi|^{2} = \Psi^{\ast} \, \Psi[/itex], so it can be integrated. But, the wavefunction disappears at infinity, so the contribution from that term is zero.
  4. May 31, 2010 #3
    So, I can assume again that [tex]\Psi^2\Psi[/tex] goes to zero as it goes to infinity? If that's the case then thanks!! =)
  5. May 31, 2010 #4
    Of course. This is a necessary (but not sufficient) condition for the probability normalization integral:

\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{|\Psi(x, t)|^{2} \, dx} = 1

to converge.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook