Derivation of wave equation using tension of a string

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the Wave equation using a specific method from the textbook Advanced Engineering Mathematics. The final part of the derivation involves taking the limit as Δx approaches zero, resulting in the wave equation. The speaker admits to being confused by this part and has attempted to work out the limit but is unsure due to the derivative terms canceling out.
Methias

Homework Statement

I'm currently following the textbook Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Erwin Kreyszig.

I'm learning the derivation of the Wave equation using the method shown in the book, but when I reached the final part of the derivation, the working just confuses me.

(1/Δx)[ (u/dx)| x+Δx - (du/dx)| x ] = (p/T) ( second derivative of u wrt t )

at this part, it mentions that we are taking the lim ∆x→0, which will end up in the wave equation.

Homework Equations

(1/Δx)[ (u/dx)| x+Δx - (du/dx)| x ]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I've tried working out the limit, but I guess there's something I don't know since as Δx approaches zero, the derivative terms will become the same and cancel out each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
$$
\lim_{\Delta x \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x + \Delta x) - f(x)}{\Delta x} = \frac{df}{dx}
$$

1. What is the wave equation?

The wave equation is a mathematical representation of how waves propagate through a medium. It describes the relationship between the wave's properties, such as its amplitude, frequency, and wavelength, and the medium's properties, such as its tension, density, and elasticity.

2. How is the wave equation derived using the tension of a string?

The wave equation can be derived using the principles of classical mechanics and Newton's laws of motion. By considering the tension in a string and its relationship to the restoring force of the string, the wave equation can be derived through a series of mathematical steps.

3. What is the significance of tension in the wave equation?

Tension is a crucial component in the wave equation as it represents the restoring force of the medium. The higher the tension in a string, the faster the wave can travel through it. This is because increased tension leads to a higher restoring force, allowing the wave to propagate at a higher velocity.

4. Are there any assumptions made in deriving the wave equation using string tension?

Yes, there are a few assumptions made, such as considering the string to be perfectly elastic, neglecting the effects of damping, and assuming the motion of the string to be in a single plane. These assumptions allow for a simplified derivation of the wave equation using string tension.

5. Can the wave equation be applied to other types of waves besides those in a string?

Yes, the wave equation can be applied to various types of waves, such as electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and water waves. However, the specific form of the equation may differ depending on the properties of the medium and the type of wave being studied.