Derivation related to Euler’s Formula

In summary, the conversation discusses a derivation for 2 waves in superposition using Euler's theorem and the Young's double-slit experiment. The formula used in the derivation is equivalent to the cosine function for real values, but not for complex values. This may have implications for the inclusion of the imaginary component in the wave function. The relevance of this issue may be better addressed in a physics forum.
mysearch
Gold Member
Hi,
I wasn’t sure whether to post this issue in a physics forum or here in this maths forum, because although it relates to physics is appears to be grounded in maths, i.e. Euler theorem. Therefore, I was wondering if anybody could help me resolve some issues with the following derivation, taken from a textbook, for 2 waves in superposition. The derivation is linked to the Young’s double-slit experiment, which acts as a precursor to quantum theory

[1] [tex]\Psi = A exp \; i \left[ k \left( r- \frac{d}{2}sin \theta\right) - wt \right] + A exp \; i \left[ k \left( r+ \frac{d}{2}sin \theta\right) - wt \right] [/tex]

[2] [tex]\Psi = A exp \; i \left( kr-wt\right) \left( exp \left[ ik \left( \frac{d}{2} \right)sin \theta \right] + exp \left[ -ik \left( \frac{d}{2} \right) sin \theta \right] \right)[/tex]

[3] [tex] \Psi = 2A exp \; i \left( kr-wt\right) cos \left[ k \left( \frac{d}{2} \right)sin \theta \right] [/tex]

Purely, by way of background, equation [1] represents 2 waves in superposition, hence the 2 parts, separated by the distance between the 2 slits [d]. The distance [r] is the mean distance to the screen where the interference pattern is seen. However, my first maths question relates to the premise of equation [1] being based on the following relationship and whether equation [1] has to consider both the real and imaginary components of the wave function? (I accept this might not be a pure maths issue)

[4] [tex] e^{i \theta} = cos \theta + i.sin \theta [/tex]

While I think I follow the basic steps from [1] to [3], there appears to be an assumption when going from [2] to [3] that:

[5] [tex] \left( exp \left[ ik \left( \frac{d}{2} \right)sin \theta \right] + exp \left[ -ik \left( \frac{d}{2} \right) sin \theta \right] \right) = 2 cos \left[ k \left( \frac{d}{2} \right)sin \theta \right] [/tex]

So my second question is whether this based on the mathematical relationship?

[6] [tex] \Re (e^{i \theta}) = cos \theta = (e^{i \theta}+ e^{-i \theta})/2 [/tex]

In part, this goes back to the scope of whether equation [1] is intended to include the real and imaginary parts of the wave function. Would appreciate any knowledgeable insights to the maths and/or physics. Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The formula

[tex]\cos(\theta)=\frac{e^{i\theta}+e^{-i\theta}}{2}[/tex]

is true for all [tex]\theta\in\mathbb{C}[/tex], so [2] is equivalent to [3]. Note though that

[tex]\Re{e^{i\theta}}=\cos(\theta)[/tex]

is only true for real [tex]\theta[/tex].

yyat said:
Note though that
[tex]\Re{e^{i\theta}}=\cos(\theta)[/tex]
is only true for real [tex]\theta[/tex].

Thanks. I agree with your note, but wouldn’t this suggest that the whole of equation [1] has to be based on the real part, i.e. this equation is not considering the imaginary (+i.sin) component? I wasn't sure of the implication of this statement, but the issue may be more relevant to a physics forum addressing the wave function for mechanical and quantum waves.

Last edited:

1. What is Euler's Formula?

Euler's Formula is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the trigonometric functions sine and cosine with the complex exponential function. It is written as e^ix = cos(x) + isin(x), where e is Euler's number, i is the imaginary unit, x is the angle in radians, and cos(x) and sin(x) represent the real and imaginary parts respectively.

2. How is Euler's Formula derived?

Euler's Formula can be derived using basic principles of complex numbers and calculus. One method is by using the Taylor series expansion for the exponential function and manipulating it to include the trigonometric functions sine and cosine. Another approach is by using the properties of the complex plane and geometric interpretation of the equation.

3. What are the applications of Euler's Formula?

Euler's Formula has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in signal processing, electrical engineering, and quantum mechanics, to name a few. It also has connections to Fourier analysis and the study of periodic functions.

4. Can Euler's Formula be extended to other trigonometric functions?

Yes, Euler's Formula can be extended to include other trigonometric functions such as tangent and cotangent. This can be done by expressing these functions in terms of sine and cosine and applying Euler's Formula.

5. What is the significance of Euler's Formula?

Euler's Formula is significant because it provides a deep connection between seemingly unrelated mathematical concepts. It also has important implications in the study of complex numbers and their properties. Additionally, Euler's Formula is often used as a tool to simplify complex mathematical equations and solve problems in various fields.