Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivations of Einstein field equations

1. Oct 7, 2014 #1
    Hello Everyone,
    I have read many derivations of Einstein field equations (done one myself), but none of them explain why the constant term should have a $$c^4$$ in the denominator. the 8πG term can be obtained from Poisson's equation, but how does c^4 pop up? Most of the books just derive it with $$8\pi G$$, and say that in units where c is not equal to 1, you get $$8πG/c^4$$, even though there is no mention of an explicit assumption that c=1. They kind of just bring it up suddenly, and there is no prior need to assume c=1 anyway. I don't want to do it with Einstein-Hilbert action, but the standard $$G_{\mu\nu}=kT_{\mu\nu}$$ approach, where I need to show that $$k=\frac{8\pi G}{c^4}$$.
    Thanks in advance!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2014 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It's just correcting the units. Normally ##T_{\mu \nu}## is in units of energy density, and ##G_{\mu \nu}## is in units of curvature, i.e., inverse length squared. The conversion factor between these units is ##G / c^4##. (The ##8 \pi## part comes from matching the prediction for static, weak-field gravity with Poisson's equation, as you say.) If you choose to use different units, that will change the conversion factor; for example, if you use units of mass density instead of energy density for ##T_{\mu \nu}##, then the factor will be ##G / c^2##.

4. Oct 10, 2014 #3
    So are both (energy density and mass density) equally valid?

5. Oct 10, 2014 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Sure, it's just a matter of which you prefer, or which is more suitable for whatever problem you're working on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook