Derivations of the series expansions

In summary, the Taylor, Fourier, and Laurent series are all derived using clever transformations such as differentiation, Fourier transforms, and Cauchy integral formula. However, the original concept behind these series came from the idea that an infinite series could converge to a finite result, dating back to the 17th century.
Benjam:n
Are there derivations of the taylor, Fourier and laurant series?

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course. They didn't just fall out of the sky. Specifically what do you mean?

In all three cases I know how if you accept that they can be written in that form (I.e. as power series or infinite series of the sines and cosines), then you can derive the coefficients using cleverly picked transformations, i.e. differentiation, the Fourier transforms or Cauchy integral formula trick. What I don't know is how you derive the original bit.

1. What is a series expansion?

A series expansion is a mathematical tool used to express a function as an infinite sum of simpler functions. It allows us to approximate complex functions and make calculations easier.

2. What are some common series expansions?

Some common series expansions include the Taylor series, Maclaurin series, and Fourier series. These expansions are used to approximate functions such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions.

3. How do you derive a series expansion?

To derive a series expansion, you must use a specific formula or method depending on the type of series. For example, the Taylor series can be derived using the Taylor series formula, while the Maclaurin series can be derived using the Maclaurin series formula.

4. What is the purpose of a series expansion?

The purpose of a series expansion is to approximate a complex function with a simpler one. This allows for easier calculations and analysis of the function. Series expansions are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve problems.

5. Are there any limitations to using series expansions?

Yes, there are limitations to using series expansions. They may not always converge, meaning they do not accurately approximate the function. Additionally, series expansions may only be valid for a certain range of values, and may not accurately represent the function outside of that range. It is important to carefully consider the limitations and accuracy of a series expansion before using it in calculations.