Derivative and integral (confusing part)

In summary, my teacher says that the integral of -1/sqrt(a^2 - x^2) is sin^-1 (x/a) + C, but Wolmframalpha says it is -(sin^-1 (x/a)) + C.
daivinhtran
We know that d(cos^-1 (x/a))/dx = -1/sqrt(a^2 - x^2) (assuming a and x are positive)

So...Why the integral of -1/sqrt(a^2 - x^2) is not equal to (cos^-1 (x/a)) + C?

Instead, my teacher says it has to be -(sin^-1 (x/a)) + C because integral of 1/sqrt(a^2 - x^2) is sin^-1 (x/a) + C...(only put the negative sign in)

She doesn't really explain though...(when I ask)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
However, when I use wolmframalpha, it gives a different solution rather than the sin^-1

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=+integrate+of+-1%2Fsqrt%28a^2+-+x^2%29+

Here the link

Consider the possibility that the two solutions are really the same, only differing by a constant:wink:.

haruspex said:
Consider the possibility that the two solutions are really the same, only differing by a constant:wink:.

Do you mean that both my and my teacher answers are right?

Yes. Can you see how? Hint: sin θ = cos(π/2-θ)

daivinhtran said:
Do you mean that both my and my teacher answers are right?

Wouldn't that be terrible!:devil:

daivinhtran said:
We know that d(cos^-1 (x/a))/dx = -1/sqrt(a^2 - x^2) (assuming a and x are positive)

So...Why the integral of -1/sqrt(a^2 - x^2) is not equal to (cos^-1 (x/a)) + C?

Instead, my teacher says it has to be -(sin^-1 (x/a)) + C because integral of 1/sqrt(a^2 - x^2) is sin^-1 (x/a) + C...(only put the negative sign in)

She doesn't really explain though...(when I ask)
Its because cos^-1(x) and sin^-1(x) are related by a constant.

cos^-1(x) + sin^-1(x) = ∏/2

So if you write
∫-1/√(a^2 - x^2) = cos^-1 (x/a) + C

I can use the relation and write

∫-1/√(a^2 - x^2) = ∏/2 - sin^-1(x/a) + C

Which is equal to

∫-1/√(a^2 - x^2) = - sin^-1(x/a) + C1

Where C1 is some arbitrary constant = C + ∏/2.

So its like haruspex said, solutions differ only by a constant.

Hope that Helps :)

1. What is the difference between a derivative and an integral?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a given point. It is defined as the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point. An integral, on the other hand, is the inverse operation of a derivative and represents the accumulation of a function over a given interval.

2. Why are derivatives and integrals considered to be confusing?

Derivatives and integrals can be confusing because they are both fundamental concepts in calculus and require a good understanding of mathematical principles and notation. Additionally, they are closely related but have different interpretations and applications, leading to some confusion for students.

3. What is the purpose of finding derivatives and integrals?

Derivatives and integrals have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. They are used to model and analyze real-world situations, such as calculating the velocity of an object or determining the total cost of production.

4. Can you give an example of how to find a derivative and integral?

For a simple function, such as y = x^2, the derivative would be 2x, while the integral would be 1/3x^3 + C. To find the derivative, we use the power rule, while the integral is found using the reverse power rule. However, more complex functions require different techniques to find the derivative and integral.

5. How can I remember the rules for derivatives and integrals?

The best way to remember the rules for derivatives and integrals is through practice and repetition. Additionally, understanding the underlying principles and concepts behind these operations can help in remembering the rules. Creating flashcards or using mnemonic devices can also aid in memorization.