1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative and Jacobian of a transformation

1. Feb 13, 2012 #1

ElijahRockers

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For the transformation, draw the lattice lines, calculate the derivative, and calculate the Jacobian.

[itex]x=rcos\theta[/itex]
    [itex]y=rsin\theta[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew the lattice lines correctly. What I am confused about is the derivative. Since x and y are both functions of r and theta, what derivative are they talking about? Wouldn't I have to take the partial with respect to R or theta? This section is supposed to be on calculating determinants.

I understand that the Jacobian is the determinant of a particular matrix, but where does this matrix come from?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2012 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

the Jacobian matrix is the matrix of partial derivatives
    [tex]
    \begin{pmatrix}
    \frac{\partial x}{\partial r} & \frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta} \\
    \frac{\partial y}{\partial r} & \frac{\partial y}{\partial \theta} \\
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]

the Jacobian determinant is the determinant of that matrix and is probably what you're referring to with the shorthand "Jacobian"

4. Feb 13, 2012 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

5. Feb 13, 2012 #4

ElijahRockers

Gold Member

Alright thanks. Yea I looked at the Jacobian wikipedia earlier, before I posted this, but it all just seemed greek to me. I am about to try to finish the assignment.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  6. Feb 14, 2012 #5

lanedance

Homework Helper

note if you had a small displacement (dr,dtheta)^T, multiplying this by the jacobian would give you the corresponding (dx,dy), similar to the chain rule

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook