Derivative dot product cross product

In summary: It isn't. But the result is perpendicular to $\mathbf{a}$, so when you do the outer dot product...In summary, the equation states that the derivative of the cross product is zero.
Dustinsfl
$$
\frac{d}{dt}[\mathbf{a}\cdot (\mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{r})] = \dot{\mathbf{a}}\cdot (\mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{r}).
$$
How is this true? Shouldn't the derivative affect the cross product as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
$$
\frac{d}{dt}[\mathbf{a}\cdot (\mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{r})] = \dot{\mathbf{a}}\cdot (\mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{r}).
$$
How is this true? Shouldn't the derivative affect the cross product as well?

The formula is

$
\dfrac{d}{dt}[\mathbf{a}\cdot (\mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{r})] = \dot{\mathbf{a}}\cdot (\mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{r})+{\mathbf{a}}\cdot (\dot{\mathbf{v}}\times\mathbf{r})+\mathbf{a}\cdot (\mathbf{v}\times\dot{\mathbf{r}})
$

Fernando Revilla said:
The formula is

$
\dfrac{d}{dt}[\mathbf{a}\cdot (\mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{r})] = \dot{\mathbf{a}}\cdot (\mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{r})+{\mathbf{a}}\cdot (\dot{\mathbf{v}}\times\mathbf{r})+\mathbf{a}\cdot (\mathbf{v}\times\dot{\mathbf{r}})
$

But since $\dot{\mathbf{v}}=\mathbf{a}$ and $\dot{\mathbf{r}}=\mathbf{v}$, you get...

Ackbach said:
But since $\dot{\mathbf{v}}=\mathbf{a}$ and $\dot{\mathbf{r}}=\mathbf{v}$, you get...

Well, I don't suppose $\mathbf{a}$ means acceleration, etc in the same way that I don't suppose that a matrix $U\in\mathbb{C}^{n\times n}$ is a unitary matrix. :)

Fernando Revilla said:
Well, I don't suppose $\mathbf{a}$ means acceleration, etc in the same way that I don't suppose that a matrix $U\in\mathbb{C}^{n\times n}$ is a unitary matrix. :)

Well, certainly not a priori. I'm guessing that there's some context for this problem, and that in that context, the equations I wrote before are true. It was a guess. Think of it as thinking more like a physicist than a mathematician. (Evilgrin)

a is acceleration and v is velocity.

v cross v is zero but why is a cross r zero?

dwsmith said:
v cross v is zero but why is a cross r zero?

It isn't. But the result is perpendicular to $\mathbf{a}$, so when you do the outer dot product...

Related to Derivative dot product cross product

1. What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is a mathematical operation that results in a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding them together.

2. What is the derivative of a dot product?

The derivative of a dot product is a vector that represents the rate of change of the dot product with respect to a given variable. It can be calculated by taking the dot product of the first vector with the derivative of the second vector, plus the dot product of the derivative of the first vector with the second vector.

3. How is the dot product related to the angle between two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is equal to the product of their magnitudes and the cosine of the angle between them. This means that the dot product will be larger when the angle between the vectors is smaller, and smaller when the angle is larger. When the angle is 90 degrees, the dot product will be 0, indicating that the vectors are perpendicular to each other.

4. What is the cross product of two vectors?

The cross product of two vectors is a mathematical operation that results in a vector quantity. It is calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix formed by the two vectors and the unit vectors i, j, and k. The resulting vector is perpendicular to both original vectors and its direction can be determined using the right-hand rule.

5. How is the cross product related to the area of a parallelogram?

The magnitude of the cross product of two vectors is equal to the area of the parallelogram formed by those two vectors. This is because the cross product gives the magnitude of the perpendicular vector to the parallelogram's base, which is equal to the area of the parallelogram. This relationship is often used in physics and engineering to calculate the area of a 2D or 3D surface.