1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative implicit differentiation problem

1. Jul 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the curve satisfying the equation 2(x+1)^(tanx)=(y^2)cosx+y and find dy/dx

2. Relevant equations
    (tanx)'=sec^2x
    (lnx)'=1/x

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried taking the natural log of both sides and then taking d/dx of both sides but something seems to go wrong with my algebra each time.. that or I'm getting confused about my natural log / implicit differentiation rules. I'm not actually sure if I'm approaching the problem correctly but here's one of the many attempts I've made:

ln2 + tanxln(x+1) = 2lny + lncosx + lny(??)
    1/2 + sec^2xln(x+1) + tanx(1/x+1) = 2y'/y + sin(x)/cos(x) + y'/y
    something should already be wrong so i won't post the rest of the work but i know the answer is supposed to be dy/dx = [2(x+1)^(tanx)[sec^2xln(x+1)+(tanx)/(x+1)]+(y^2)(sinx)]/ all over (2ycosx+1). Need help getting there, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2011 #2
    It looks like you tried to distribute the natural log over addition, which doesn't work. The left hand side is fine, but the right hand side should be
    [tex]\ln (y^2 \cos(x) + y)[/tex]
    Or I suppose you could divide out the y from the original expression, but that won't really help, seeing as you'd just have to combine the two fractions you get after differentiating.

4. Jul 20, 2011 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The hard part for you seems to be differentiating (x+1)^tan(x). f(x)^g(x)=e^(ln(f(x))*g(x)) since f(x)=e^(ln(f(x)). Try differentiating it in that form.

5. Jul 20, 2011 #4
    Once I have the right side down to 1/y^2(cosx+y) [?] how do I find dy/dx?

6. Jul 20, 2011 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you have the right side down to " 1/y^2(cosx+y) " ... Where did dy/dx go, and what is in the numerator & what in the denominator?

By the way: 1/y^2(cosx+y) literally is the same as (cosx+y)/y2 . It helps to use enough parentheses to say what you mean

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook