Derivative of a cylinder's volume

In summary, the conversation discusses using the product rule to find the derivative of the volume of a cylinder and the confusion over the presence of "2" in the equation. The problem is clarified to be a related rates problem involving the volume of a cylinder and the discussion shifts to finding the derivative of the volume with respect to time. The relevance of surface area is also addressed and it is determined that the problem as stated does not make sense without more information.
NP04
Homework Statement
why does the derivative of a cylinder's volume (its surface area) = 2πrh+2πr^2
Relevant Equations
Power rule: [d/dx]x^n = nx^(n-1)
Product Rule: y' = ab' + ba'

Volume of a cylinder = (πr^2)h
Surface Area of a cylinder = 2πrh+2πr^2
Using product rule, we have:
[d/dx] (πr^2)(h)
= (πr^2)(1 ) + (2πr)(h)

Why is the two there? V = 2 πrh+2πr^2
The derivative of h is 1, not 2.
Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
NP04 said:
Homework Statement: why does the derivative of a cylinder's volume (its surface area) = 2πrh+2πr^2
Homework Equations: Power rule: [d/dx]x^n = nx^(n-1)
Product Rule: y' = ab' + ba'

Volume of a cylinder = (πr^2)h
Surface Area of a cylinder = 2πrh+2πr^2

[d/dx] (πr^2)(h)
= (πr^2)(1 ) + (2πr)(h)

Why is the two there? V = 2 πrh+2πr^2
The derivative of h is 1, not 2.
Please help!

What is ##x## here?

PeroK said:
What is ##x## here?

If you are referencing the "a" term, that is πr^2.

NP04 said:
If you are referencing the "a" term, that is πr^2.

No. I mean here:

NP04 said:
[d/dx] (πr^2)(h)
= (πr^2)(1 ) + (2πr)(h)

PeroK said:
No. I mean here:

I think I understand what you mean. The x should be a v, right?

NP04 said:
I think I understand what you mean. The x should be a v, right?

I'm not sure what it should be. ##r## or ##h## are the obvious candidates, but that doesn't give you what you're looking for.

Where did you get this problem?

Deriving the surface area is only the first step.

Here is the full problem (related rates):
Water flows at 8 cubic feet per minute into a cylinder with radius 4 feet. How fast is the water level rising when the water is 2 feet high? Answer should be expressed in terms of feet per minute.

NP04 said:
Deriving the surface area is only the first step.

Here is the full problem (related rates):
Water flows at 8 cubic feet per minute into a cylinder with radius 4 feet. How fast is the water level rising when the water is 2 feet high. Answer should be expressed in terms of feet per minute.

That's what you should have posted. What you were doing is not relevant.

Here's what I would do first, to get a grip on the problem:

Assume the water is 2 feet high at some time. A minute later 8 cubic feet of water have been added. How high is the water then?

Your problem has nothing to do with surface area. I would start with the formula for the volume of the cylinder: ##V = \pi r^2 h = 16\pi h##. Remember ##r=4## is a constant. Also note that there is an unwritten variable, time ##t## which is frequently not explicitly written in the equation, as in this case. Both ##V## and ##h## depend on ##t##. I would start by differentiating this equation with respect to ##t## and go from there.

NP04 said:
[d/dx] (πr^2)(h)
= (πr^2)(1 ) + (2πr)(h)
This makes no sense. You are differentiating with respect to x, an expression that doesn't involve x. The total derivative (a term you might not have seen yet) of a function of two or more variables involves partial derivatives.

In any case, as has already been mentioned, surface area is irrelevant in this problem. Although that it's true that the derivative of the volume of a sphere is the surface area, this relationship does not hold for a cylinder.

Likes Delta2
One basic problem is that the volume of a cylinder, [itex]V= \pi r^2h[/itex], depends upon two variables, r and h. Which one do you want to differentiate with respect to? (You tried to sweep that under the rug by writing "d/dx"!). You could be talking about the two partial derivatives, or the "total differential", [itex]dv= 2\pi rh dr+ \pi r^2 dh[/itex], or perhaps, h and r are both functions of some single variable, t, that you didn't mention. As stated, your problem makes no sense!

What is the formula for finding the derivative of a cylinder's volume?

The formula for finding the derivative of a cylinder's volume is dV/dh = πr², where r is the radius of the cylinder and h is the height.

Why is it important to know the derivative of a cylinder's volume?

Knowing the derivative of a cylinder's volume allows us to calculate the rate of change of the volume with respect to the height. This can be useful in various applications, such as determining the maximum volume of a cylinder or optimizing the volume for a given height.

Can the derivative of a cylinder's volume be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a cylinder's volume can be negative. This means that as the height increases, the volume decreases. This can occur when the radius of the cylinder is decreasing as the height increases.

How does the derivative of a cylinder's volume change as the radius increases?

As the radius increases, the derivative of a cylinder's volume also increases. This means that for a given change in height, the change in volume will be greater for a cylinder with a larger radius compared to one with a smaller radius.

Can the derivative of a cylinder's volume be used to find the volume of a cone?

Yes, the derivative of a cylinder's volume formula can be used to find the volume of a cone. This is because a cone can be thought of as a cylinder with a varying height and radius. By using the derivative formula, we can find the volume of the cone at any given height.