1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of a rotating unit vector

1. Aug 9, 2014 #1
    I think this is a textbook-style question, if I am wrong, please redirect me to the forum section where I should have posted this. This is my first time here, so I am sorry if I am messing it up.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We have an n-dimensional vector [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] with a constant length [itex]\|\vec{r}\|=1[/itex]. The vector rotates with an angular speed [itex]\vec{ω}[/itex], which is also an n-dimensional vector and is a given function of time. I want to find first derivative of [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] with respect to time: [itex]\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}-?[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

I don't really know how to tackle the problem. I think I've solved this for the 2-dimensional case, where [itex]\vec{r}\in\mathbb R^2[/itex] rotates with angular speed [itex]\dot{Θ}[/itex] (so [itex]Θ[/itex] would denote angular displacement from the original orientation). I doubt that it will be of any help with the general n-dimensional case, but here it is:

We can rewrite [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] as a product of a constant unit vector [itex]\vec{a}=const[/itex] and a rotational matrix [itex]T_Θ[/itex]:

[itex]\vec{r}=T_Θ\vec{a}[/itex], where [itex]T_Θ=\begin{pmatrix}
    \cosΘ & -\sinΘ\\
    \sinΘ & \cosΘ\\
    \end{pmatrix}[/itex] (1)

So time derivative of [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] can be written as:

[itex]\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}=\frac{d(T_Θ)}{dt}\vec{a}[/itex] (2)

Then we do math:

[itex]\frac{d(T_Θ)}{dt}=\dot{Θ}\begin{pmatrix}
    -\sinΘ& -\cosΘ\\
    \cosΘ& -\sinΘ\\
    \end{pmatrix}=
    (-1)\dot{Θ}\begin{pmatrix}
    \cos(\frac{\pi}{2}-Θ)& \sin(\frac{\pi}{2}-Θ)\\
    -\sin(\frac{\pi}{2}-Θ)& \cos(\frac{\pi}{2}-Θ)\\
    \end{pmatrix}=
    (-1)\dot{Θ}\begin{pmatrix}
    \cos(Θ-\frac{\pi}{2})& -\sin(Θ-\frac{\pi}{2})\\
    \sin(Θ-\frac{\pi}{2})& \cos(Θ-\frac{\pi}{2})\\
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/itex]

Matrix [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
    \cos(Θ-\frac{\pi}{2})& -\sin(Θ-\frac{\pi}{2})\\
    \sin(Θ-\frac{\pi}{2})& \cos(Θ-\frac{\pi}{2})\\
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/itex] is a rotation matrix that rotates a vector through the angle [itex]Θ-\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]. You can do the same rotation with two matrices, first of which would rotate the vector through the angle Θ (it is [itex]T_Θ[/itex]), and second through the angle [itex]-\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] (we'll name the later matrix[itex]T_0[/itex]).

[itex]T_0=\begin{pmatrix}
    0& 1\\
    -1& 0\\
    \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

So we rewrite equation (2) as:

[itex]\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}=(-1)\dot{Θ}T_ΘT_0\vec{a}[/itex]

Rotating a vector through the angle [itex](-\frac{\pi}{2})[/itex] and then multiplying it with (-1) is the same as rotating through the angle [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex], so:

[itex]\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}=\dot{Θ}T_ΘT_1\vec{a}[/itex], where [itex]T_1=\begin{pmatrix}
    0& -1\\
    1& 0\\
    \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

So using (1) we can write:

[itex]\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}=\dot{Θ}\begin{pmatrix}
    0& -1\\
    1& 0\\
    \end{pmatrix}\vec{r}[/itex]

Sorry for the long post. I guess what I've shown above might be the clumsiest way to deal with the problem. And it is hardly of any help with the n-dimensional case.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2014 #2
  4. Aug 11, 2014 #3
    I have spend some time thinking about it. First, for 3-dimensional case we can use well known result from classical mechanics and say that [itex]\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}=\vec{ω}\times\vec{r}[/itex]. I don't know if the result holds for the general case.

Well, at least now I know how to prove that result I've just mentioned, going from what I've written in the opening post to the 3d case is a matter of simple geometry.

5. Aug 11, 2014 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is a generalization to N dimensions. Look at your result for the 2D case:
    [tex]\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}=\dot{Θ}\begin{pmatrix}
    0& -1\\
    1& 0\\
    \end{pmatrix}\vec{r}[/tex]
    Note that this can be rewritten as
    [tex]\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}
    \begin{pmatrix}
    0& -\omega_{x,y} \\
    \omega_{x,y} & 0
    \end{pmatrix}
    \, \vec{r}[/tex]
    where I'm denoting your scalar [itex]\dot \Theta[/itex] as [itex]\omega_{x,y}[/itex]. I'm simply using [itex]\omega[/itex] to denote the rotation rate. The subscript [itex]x,y[/itex] denotes the fact that this is a rotation in the x-y plane. I'll have more to say on why I'm using that strange notation a bit later.

Now let's look at your 3D result, [itex]\frac {d\vec r}{dt} = \vec \omega \times \vec r[/itex]. The cross product can be written in matrix form, resulting in
    [tex]\frac {d\vec r}{dt} =
    \begin{pmatrix}
    0& -\omega_z & \omega_y \\
    \omega_z & 0 & -\omega_x \\
    -\omega_y & \omega_x & 0
    \end{pmatrix}
    \, \vec r
    [/tex]
    Here the subscript denotes rotation about an axis. Rotation about an axis is a concept that is unique to three dimensions. The 2D concept of rotation in a plane does generalize to higher dimensions. For example, in three dimensions, instead of thinking about a rotation about the z axis, think about it as a rotation in the x-y plane. With this notation, the above becomes
    \begin{pmatrix}
    0& -\omega_{x,y} & \omega_{x,z} \\
    \omega_{y,x} & 0 & -\omega_{y,z} \\
    -\omega_{x,z} & \omega_{y,z} & 0
    \end{pmatrix}
    \, \vec r
    [/tex]

At this point you might see a pattern emerging. The pattern is that in both cases, the matrix is skew-symmetric and the off-diagonal elements are the rotation rate in the plane indicated by the indices. Here's the four dimensional analog:
    \begin{pmatrix}
    0& -\omega_{x,y} & \omega_{x,z} & -\omega_{x,w} \\
    \omega_{y,x} & 0 & -\omega_{y,z} & \omega_{y,w} \\
    -\omega_{x,z} & \omega_{y,z} & 0 & -\omega_{z,w} \\
    \omega_{x,w} & -\omega_{y,w} & \omega_{z,w} & 0
    \end{pmatrix}
    \, \vec r
    [/tex]

So where does this skew-symmetric matrix come from? The answer is the time derivative of the rotation matrix [itex]T[/itex] that describes the rotation. Regardless of dimension, the time derivative of this matrix can be written in the form [itex]\dot T = S T[/itex] where [itex]S[/itex] is a skew-symmetric matrix.

If you want to learn more, I suggest you start reading up on Lie groups and Lie algebras.

6. Aug 15, 2014 #5
    Thank you D H! The idea of planar rotations in four dimensions is kind of hard to digest (well, even with 3-d for me it takes effort to visualize some operations). I will probably have to do the differentiation for the 4-d case to get the feel of it, but now that I know the answer it should be easier =)

Also the way you written the 4x4 matrix suggests that there are six components of rotation in 4 dimensions, that is yet another thing where I'll probably need some time to get my head around it.

I've just got a textbook on Lie groups, going to read it soon.

Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted