1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of a sum of functions, also cubic graph roots

1. Jul 19, 2009 #1
    Derivative of a sum of functions

What would you interperate this as?

It is one of the subsections of Differentiation from the syllabus of a University entrance Exam in November but I cannot think what it is refering to.

Differentiation: Derivative of xa, including for fractional exponents.
    Derivative of a sum of functions. Tangents and normals to graphs. Turning
    points. Second order derivatives. Maxima and minima. Increasing and
    decreasing functions.

That is the whole section, also, what is a second order derivative? I have done both before as it is based on my first year in college which I have already done but I have never heard them refered to as that before so I am a bit unsure.

Also, I know when I have a quadratic equation, I can find how many real roots it has, but how would I go about finding this if the graph was a cubic as I cannot use the quadratic equation?

Thanks alot

James

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi James! :smile:

The syllabus starts by defining derivatives of x, x2, x3, and so on, and then shows how to find th derivative of a sum like ax2 + bx + c. :wink:
    The derivative of a derivative (eg d2y/dx2) … this is relevant to finding turning points.
    mmm … wait and find out! :wink:

4. Jul 19, 2009 #3
    Thanks alot for that, didn't realise that was it, glad they are something easy & not hard.

I will do a bit of digging on the cubic then and try to work it out ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook