Derivative of a Taylor Series f(x) is unknown

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a Taylor series and its derivative. It is determined that the answer to f'(1) is the sum of the coefficients multiplied by their respective powers of x.
Brilliant

Homework Statement

If [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_{n}x^n[/tex] is a Taylor series that converges to f(x) for all real x, then f'(1) = ?

Homework Equations

A Taylor series:
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac {f^{(n)}(c)}{n!}(x-c)^n[/tex]
and the dirv of a Taylor series:
[tex]f'(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} na_{n}(x-c)^{n-1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by taking the derivative of the basic Taylor serie:
[tex]f'(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} na_{n}(x-c)^{n-1}[/tex]
Then simply plugging in 1. I guess I was just thinking this is might be centered at 0, so I put in 0 for c, although the problem doesn't specify.
I end up with the expression:
[tex]f'(1)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}n\frac {f^{(n)}(0)}{n!}[/tex]

At this point I'm not sure what to do because I don't know the function f(x). It seems like the answer should be numerical, but the question is quite vague. Maybe this is blatantly simple and I'm just failing to see it, but any tips would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the answer is numerical. Just differentiate the series and plug in x=1.

Interesting. It is an odd question.

So you think
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac {f^{(n)}(0)}{(n-1)!}[/tex]
is all it's looking for?

Also, it seems like that should maybe be: f(n-1)(0). If you applied the chain rule when you differentiate, but then you would need to multiply by the derivative of the inside function? that I don't know?
EDIT:Actually maybe I'm just confused. :P
EDITEDIT: Yes, because the whole an term is constant, so no chain rule or anything funny?

Anyway, thanks.

I think you are over complicating this. If f(x)=a0+a1*x+a2*x^2+a3*x^3, then f'(1)=a1+2*a2+3*a3, right? It's the same problem but infinite.

Yes, you're right. I do this all the time. Thank you very much! Sometimes I just need to be slapped.

What is a Taylor Series?

A Taylor Series is a mathematical representation of a function that can be used to approximate the value of the function at a given point.

What is the derivative of a Taylor Series?

The derivative of a Taylor Series is the mathematical representation of the slope or rate of change of the function at a given point.

Why is the derivative of a Taylor Series unknown?

The derivative of a Taylor Series may be unknown because the function may not have a closed form expression, or because the Taylor Series may be an infinite series with no known pattern or formula.

Can the derivative of a Taylor Series be approximated?

Yes, the derivative of a Taylor Series can be approximated by taking the derivative of each term in the series and then adding them together.

How is the derivative of a Taylor Series used in science?

The derivative of a Taylor Series is commonly used in science to approximate the behavior of a function, such as in physics and engineering applications.