1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Derivative of a Variation vs Variation of a Derivative

1. Jul 13, 2018 #1
    When a classical field is varied so that ##\phi ^{'}=\phi +\delta \phi## the spatial partial derivatives of the field is often written $$\partial _{\mu }\phi ^{'}=\partial _{\mu }(\phi +\delta \phi )=\partial _{\mu }\phi +\partial _{\mu }\delta \phi $$. Often times the next step is to switch the order of the variation and the partial derivative to get ##\partial _{\mu }\phi ^{'}=\partial _{\mu }\phi +\delta (\partial _{\mu }\phi )##. What justifies the replacement of ##\partial_{\mu }(\delta\phi )## by ##\delta (\partial _{\mu }\phi )##?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2018 #2

haushofer

Science Advisor

Variations and derivatives commute if you keep your coordinates fixed during the variation. In deriving the Euler Lagrange eqns e.g. this is the case: the field variations involve functional variations.

4. Jul 13, 2018 #3
    I guess my question is "why do variations and derivatives commute?"

5. Jul 13, 2018 #4

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

haushofer answered your question correctly. The variation [itex]\delta[/itex] measures the change in the functional form of a field at a fixed coordinate value. So, if you define the field [itex]\psi_{\mu}(x) = \partial_{\mu}\phi (x)[/itex], then it follows from the definition of [itex]\delta[/itex] that [tex]\delta \psi_{\mu}(x) = \psi_{\mu}^{'}(x) - \psi_{\mu}(x),[/tex] or
    [tex]\delta (\partial_{\mu}\phi )(x) = \partial_{\mu}\phi^{'}(x) - \partial_{\mu}\phi(x) = \partial_{\mu}\left(\phi^{'} - \phi \right) (x) = \partial_{\mu}( \delta \phi )(x) .[/tex]

6. Jul 13, 2018 #5
    Thinking of ##\partial _{\mu}\phi ## as an independent vector field that itself varies seemed to help! Thanks haushofer and samalkhaiat!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted