Derivative of an integral function

In summary, the question is whether or not it is possible to derive the derivative of a function using the "derivation under the integral" rule, but the problem is that the terms in the diverging series cancel out. If you switch variables to use y instead of t, the problem disappears.
muzialis
Hello there,

I have the function

$$f(t) = \int_0 ^{t} \frac{1}{\sqrt{t-\tau}} \mathrm{d}\tau$$

The integral can be found, yielding an expression as

$$f(t) = 2 \sqrt{t} $$

The question is, if I tried to calculate the derivative of $$f$$, using the "derivation under the integral " rule I get

$$\frac {\mathrm{d} f }{\mathrm{d}t} = \int_0 ^{t} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}t} \frac{1}{\sqrt{t-\tau}} \mathrm{d}\tau + \frac{1}{\sqrt{t-t}} $$

which is a problem I never run across.
I went through the derivation of the "derivation under the integral " but I am not getting anywhere, for the moment.
Anybody's help would be appreciated, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
muzialis said:
Hello there,

I have the function

$$f(t) = \int_0 ^{t} \frac{1}{\sqrt{t-\tau}} \mathrm{d}\tau$$

The integral can be found, yielding an expression as

$$f(t) = 2 \sqrt{t} $$

The question is, if I tried to calculate the derivative of $$f$$, using the "derivation under the integral " rule I get

$$\frac {\mathrm{d} f }{\mathrm{d}t} = \int_0 ^{t} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}t} \frac{1}{\sqrt{t-\tau}} \mathrm{d}\tau + \frac{1}{\sqrt{t-t}} $$

which is a problem I never run across.
I went through the derivation of the "derivation under the integral " but I am not getting anywhere, for the moment.
Anybody's help would be appreciated, thanks

Loosely speaking, the first term with the derivative inside the integral will generate a "##-1/\sqrt{t-t}##" term, as ##d(t-\tau)^{-1/2}/dt = -d(t-\tau)^{-1/2}/d\tau##, so the diverging terms cancel out.

If you change variables to ##y = t - \tau## before taking the t derivative you also avoid the problem altogether.

Mute,

as always, much appreciated.

thanks

you can write out the Newton quotient in terms of t then write

(t + Δt-[itex]\tau[/itex])[itex]^{-1/2}[/itex] in a Taylor series

1. What is the derivative of an integral function?

The derivative of an integral function is the original function from which the integral function was derived. It represents the rate of change of the integral function at a specific point.

2. How is the derivative of an integral function calculated?

The derivative of an integral function is calculated using the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the derivative of an integral function is equal to the original function.

3. What is the relationship between an integral function and its derivative?

The integral function and its derivative are inversely related. This means that the derivative represents the rate of change of the integral function, while the integral function represents the accumulation of the derivative over a specific interval.

4. Can the derivative of an integral function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of an integral function can be negative if the original function is decreasing at a specific point. This indicates that the integral function is decreasing at that point.

5. Why is the derivative of an integral function important?

The derivative of an integral function is important in many areas of mathematics and science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of functions and their rates of change, which is crucial in many real-world applications.