1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of scalar triple product

1. Jun 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If u(t) = σ(t) . [σ'(t) x σ''(t)], show that u'(t) = σ(t) . [σ'(t) x σ'''(t)].

2. Relevant equations

The rules for differentiating dot products and cross products, respectively, are:

d/dt f(t) . g(t) = f'(t) . g(t) + f(t) . g'(t)

d/dt f(t) x g(t) = f'(t) x g(t) + f(t) x g'(t)

3. The attempt at a solution

So I applied each individual rule to σ(t) . [σ'(t) x σ''(t)] to get

σ'(t) . [σ'(t) x σ''(t)] + σ(t) . [σ''(t) x σ''(t) + σ'(t) x σ'''(t)]

which I can expand into

σ'(t) . [σ'(t) x σ''(t)] + σ(t) . [σ''(t) x σ''(t)] + σ(t) . [σ'(t) x σ'''(t)]

meaning σ'(t) . [σ'(t) x σ''(t)] + σ(t) . [σ''(t) x σ''(t)] should equal zero, but I don't see why it would.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Basic facts about the cross product:

For any vector [itex]\mathbf{a}[/itex], we have [itex]\mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{a} = \mathbf{0}[/itex].

For any vectors [itex]\mathbf{a}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{b}[/itex], the vector [itex]\mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b}[/itex] is orthogonal to both [itex]\mathbf{a}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{b}[/itex], so [tex]
    \mathbf{a} \cdot (\mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b}) = 0 = \mathbf{b} \cdot (\mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b}).[/tex]

4. Jun 24, 2014 #3
    The cross product of any vector with itself is zero, so the second term is zero.

The first term is zero because the cross product σ'(t) x σ''(t) is orthogonal to σ'(t). The dot product of a vector with a vector orthogonal to itself is zero.

Hope that helps.

[Edit: Oops...I was posting at the same time as pasmith. What pasmith said.]

5. Jun 24, 2014 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted