Partial derivative of T(x, y, z) = 200e^(−x²−3y²−9z²)

  • Thread starter Thread starter killersanta
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
killersanta
Messages
63
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



T(x, y, z) = 200e^(−x^2−3y^2−9z^2 )
I'm not sure how to get the derivative in terms of x,y or z.



The Attempt at a Solution



For x: -200x^2e^(−x^2−3y^2−9z^2 )(-2x)? Is this right? Probably not, how do i do it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
killersanta said:

Homework Statement



T(x, y, z) = 200e^(−x^2−3y^2−9z^2 )
I'm not sure how to get the derivative in terms of x,y or z.



The Attempt at a Solution



For x: -200x^2e^(−x^2−3y^2−9z^2 )(-2x)? Is this right? Probably not, how do i do it?
This is not quite the correct partial derivative of T with respect to x. That's the terminology that is usually used.

The corrected version is -200e^(−x^2−3y^2−9z^2 )(-2x)

The notation can appear in two forms:
[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}[/tex]
or
Tx
 
Mark44 said:
Do you understand why that x2 factor you had shouldn't be there?

No, I thought you pulled it down? Why?