1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of velocity squared

1. Mar 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This really isn't a specific homework problem. It is just something that I've never actually known the reason for. An example is in the derivation of:

[tex]\frac{dT}{dt} = F\dot v [\tex]

In order to arrive at it, I replace T with [tex]1/2mv^2[\tex] and assume m is constant and then I have to do the product rule on v^2 and I'm never sure why I can't use the power rule. Any explanation is appreciated.

On a side note, this makes sense to me when I substitute momentum in for one of the velocities and then do the product rule. I just don't understand why I can't leave it as velocity and use the power rule. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, v = v(t) is a function of t, and you are differentiating with respect to t.
    So when you differentiate v(t)^2 you use the chain rule with u = v(t) and get
    [tex]\frac{d(v(t))^2}{dt} = \frac{du}{dv} \frac{dv(t)}{dt} = (2v) (v'(t))[/tex]
    where du/dv = d(v^2)/dv = 2 v, just like differentiating
    [tex](x^2 + 6)^2[/tex]
    with respect to x first gives you 2(x^2 + 6) by the power rule and then another factor of 2x because of the chain rule.

So, using v'(t) = a(t), and F = m v(t)
    [tex]\frac{dT}{dt} = \frac12 m (2 v a) = m v a = F v[/tex]
    [If you want to treat v(t) as a vector, you need to be a little more careful as you will get some dot products]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook