1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative Word Problem - Trig Needed?

1. Jan 2, 2012 #1

Char. Limit

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Now this is a problem that my sister had on her Calculus homework, and I can't seem to figure it out. I believe a similar triangles argument is necessary, but I'm not sure, and trig always was my weak spot. The problem is as follows:

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, we drew a nice triangle like so:

Triangle.png

We know that dx/dt = 4/9 and that dX/dt (the x-axis on the larger triangle) is constant. But I can't seem to complete the problem...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It isn't true that dX/dt is constant. It's getting longer too. What is true is that the ratio of the height and the length of the smaller and larger triangles are equal. Those are the similar triangles. Write that expression down.

4. Jan 2, 2012 #3

Char. Limit

Gold Member

What, so like this?

[tex]\frac{8}{x+X} = \frac{2}{x}[/tex]

And then use dx/dt=4/9 to get an expression for X in terms of t?

5. Jan 2, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Solve that equation for X then differentiate both sides to get an expression for dX/dt in terms of dx/dt.

6. Jan 2, 2012 #5

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Thanks! I can't believe I missed that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook